Called a Domestic Violence Hotline Today

Old 11-21-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Antidepressants made my ex more volatile when he drank, like he was more energetic and less likely to eat and pass out. He would just keep going and going. I used to hope he would get high. That sort of calmed him down, but not enough to totally prevent the rages.
You don't have to live like this. You don't have to subject your children to this. I regret not leaving sooner. Nothing in this situation is healthy or normal. It seems that way because you're stuck and have been for a long time. Do you really want to teach your kids that this is what love looks like? That this is a normal adult relationship? Please don't tell me that they don't know how bad it is. I was a little girl in a home very much like yours. I knew exactly how bad it was.
I learned too many unhealthy behaviors from my alcoholic father and codependent mother and it has had long lasting negative repercussions on my life.
Go to Alanon. Take your kids to Alateen. Think long and hard about why you can't let go of this abusive, angry man. And I don't want to hear about love. This is not what real love looks like.
Pouring booze down the drain and trying to manage his mood swings is not a viable solution. There's always going to be stress and work and life happening. He will ALWAYS find a reason for his unacceptable behavior. The change needs to come from you, the only responsible, sober adult in the house.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Antidepressants made my ex more volatile when he drank, like he was more energetic and less likely to eat and pass out. He would just keep going and going. I used to hope he would get high. That sort of calmed him down, but not enough to totally prevent the rages.
You don't have to live like this. You don't have to subject your children to this. I regret not leaving sooner. Nothing in this situation is healthy or normal. It seems that way because you're stuck and have been for a long time. Do you really want to teach your kids that this is what love looks like? That this is a normal adult relationship? Please don't tell me that they don't know how bad it is. I was a little girl in a home very much like yours. I knew exactly how bad it was.
I learned too many unhealthy behaviors from my alcoholic father and codependent mother and it has had long lasting negative repercussions on my life.
Go to Alanon. Take your kids to Alateen. Think long and hard about why you can't let go of this abusive, angry man. And I don't want to hear about love. This is not what real love looks like.
Pouring booze down the drain and trying to manage his mood swings is not a viable solution. There's always going to be stress and work and life happening. He will ALWAYS find a reason for his unacceptable behavior. The change needs to come from you, the only responsible, sober adult in the house.
Thank you for your post. Thank goodness I don't have children nor plan on having any. I would get a poodle if anything.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

when you posted recently about how things "were better" and that you husband drinks in the morning before work to deal with his stress, I figured this coming.

You deserve to live better than this, do you realize that your entire life revolves around his moods? What does HE do to make you happy and comfortable, less stressed. you both work, you can both split the chores and shopping, pick up a movie, etc.

that is how a normal relationship works...(one cooks, one cleans, etc).

insulting you after you are already in bed and trying to sleep...sorry, but his butt should be out the door and he can go sleep in his car if he is so RUDE, not yours.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sorry, had you mixed up with another poster.
Re the dog, my ex was also mean to the animals.