My first Alanon meeting

Old 08-01-2004, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first Alanon meeting

It has been a while since I posted here. I come back often to read the post. It has helped me stay afloat.
My ex husband has moved in again and this time for good. He is still dealing with his alcoholism. We have been to our church for counseling. We really wanted to make it work this time and no more in and out of the house. The kids love him around. I do too when he is sober. I guess when he went to rehab I thought it was the end of his drinking. The days he did drink recently I had let it get to me so bad. My anxiety level is so high when he is drinking. He is such a nice guy when he isn't drinking. I had enough of this pain I am feeling. I am not sure what it was that made me check into Alanon meetings in my area, but I did this past Friday. It just so happened that they have one 2 miles from my house every Friday at 6:30 p.m. I showed up not having any idea what to expect. I was welcomed by some wonderful people . They were just like me in a sense. That was the best hour I have spent with anyone in a long time. I plan on attending every Friday. I can see the different stages everyone was in with their recovery. Some had been in Alanon for many years and continue to come back every week. The stories were all so familar. It was almost like they were telling my story.
I am a very shy person so it took a lot for me to step in that room for the first time. I am so greatful for a place to go and feel like people understand what I am going through.
I always thought I didn't need to go to meetings, I said I wasn't the one who needed help. It was he who was the sick one. Hearing what I heard the other night made me realize I am sicker than I ever thought I was. I have a very long road ahead of me. I am looking forward to going back.
Pam
Old 08-01-2004, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Pam,
What a nice share. Very encouraging for people who are thinking about attending an Alanon meeting.
Thanks,
Gabe
Old 08-01-2004, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Pam...I am so glad you had a good experience and you plan on returning. Let us know how it goes.

Hugs,
JT