Stress and shingles, UGH!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stress and shingles, UGH!

So, today I was diagnosed with shingles. I have heard so many people getting shingles these days, people in my age group (under 50). Crazy, but oh well. I am debating over taking the antivirals because meds really mess with my and with my liver. I am trying some natural antivirals and I've now realized how much the stress in my life is adding up and affecting me physically.

On a more positive note, I did get rid of my car and bought a Toyota Venza. Paid more than I wanted to, though, but I told AH that I would take on the payments when we split everything up in the end.

He's still sticking with his 'proposal': let's stay married for financial benefits and maybe if you (Liz) start working soon, then I(AH) can get out of paying spousal support in 2 years. Oh, and go ahead and start dating dear, we're just tied to each other on paper. GAH!!!!! And, I now don't need to wonder why I have a rash next to my boob, LOL!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Liz....my gut reaction to his "dating" proposal is one of suspicion. Just be careful.
Sounds, to me, like he is already up to something, himself...or....trying to lure you into an infidelity situation to get a leg up should you all divorce.

Just a gut reaction....

You didn't mention pain...are you have any...much?

dandylion
Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good thing you're not actually listening to any of his nonsense!

And congrats on your new wheels!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Sounds like you just traded one rashy boob for another. This one, however, will be gone in a week, and won't make ridiculous proposals.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
Sounds like you just traded one rashy boob for another. This one, however, will be gone in a week, and won't make ridiculous proposals.
Bwwahhhaaa!! I needed that laugh!

Dandylion: No pain yet, just a few sores on my right side and I'm feeling a bit run down. As for his proposal, yeah, I thought of all of that. Wouldn't that be convenient for me to start dating someone and he uses it against me in the divorce? But you know what, we live in a no fault divorce state and I'm going to ask that he put his 'proposal' in writing so that I can have it all on file for the future.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I stop taking on what isn't mine
Or accept things I cannot change
My stress decreases
Old 11-18-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't know you could get shingles in your 40's. Yikes!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Take the meds. I've seen shingles up close. Just take the medical, chemical, don't know what's in 'em meds.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Liza shingles is my new obsession because my DIL of 30 got them, and was in really bad pain for a couple of weeks, then my EXH got them as well. He's over 60 but in good health. When DIL got them, naturally I googled and found out there is a vaccine. It's expensive in Australia, around $200, but it would save some serious pain, and debilitating symptoms, especially in the elderly. Yet doctors hardly seem aware the vaccine exists.

Sorry to go on about it, but your post reminded me again of how preventable it is if you can afford the vaccine.

Sorry about the rash, and I agree with Flo that you should consider the anti-virals if your doc recommends them, because I've heard the pain can be excruciating.

Watch out for the dating thing; I would imagine it's more for his benefit than yours. Fancy seeing his new GF first thing when you go to make a cup of coffee?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh Liz, I am so, so sorry about the shingles. Wishing you relief soon!

Those Venzas are slick-looking! I'm glad you were able to get the car situation taken care of. I know it was stressing you out a lot.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. I second Florence, though. Take the damn meds. We had shingles going through my office two years ago, and people who were never sick were wicked, wicked sick. I hope your case is an easy one, but I would not take any chances.

I think they're going to have to change the guidelines for vaccinations for shingles. Right now, I don't know of a single insurance company that pays for it for people under 50 (and it's expensive). We had one guy who was out for a month, and he was 43.

I'm glad you got the car thing figured out. And I still think your AH doesn't believe the divorce is going to happen. As long as you stay married, he can always move back in...
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ugh....when I broke my leg I also came down with shingles. Miserable.

Stay well my friend!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

BTW, we should all be getting shingles vaccinations.
They are available today.
I just put it on my list of things I ask about at my next Drs appt
Old 11-18-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WMJ1012 View Post
Insurance won't cover it unless you are over 50, I think.

I know people who had it recently who are much younger than me. It almost seems as if it's epidemic and many of the folks I know who have had it are in their 30s and even 20s.

I am starting the antivirals today, rash just started yesterday and it's a 72 hour window on the meds. I'm not in pain.....yet, and I do hope I have a mild case. My chicken pox was awful when I was 16 so maybe I'm getting a break here, LOL?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WMJ1012 View Post
I had one this year - they are over $250. I've never had shingles, but I've known a few people who have - one of them in her twenties.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
Oh Liz, I am so, so sorry about the shingles. Wishing you relief soon!

Those Venzas are slick-looking! I'm glad you were able to get the car situation taken care of. I know it was stressing you out a lot.
I wasn't even looking at the Venza. I realized I needed an SUV because of all the gear we cart around to tournaments so I was looking at the RAV4 or the Honda Cr-V. The Toyota guy showed me the Venza and I was sold the minute I sat in it. I guess it's like a station wagon but it feels wide and sturdy on the road. It also only had 14K miles on it and didn't have a scratch on it. I plan to drive it until it dies, LOL! The only thing I wasn't sold on was the color, bright red (Toyota calls it Barcelona red) but it's growing on me and I'm not too shocked when I walk into the garage and see this bright red thing sitting there, haha!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am 39 and got the shingles this year. My friend had them at 31. They had a baby at the time but did not catch it in time and the baby got the chicken pox from him. Bad times.

I will say mine were not horribly severe like some. I hope I never get them again!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Red is a POWER color.....

dandylion
Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I am 39 and got the shingles this year. My friend had them at 31. They had a baby at the time but did not catch it in time and the baby got the chicken pox from him. Bad times.

I will say mine were not horribly severe like some. I hope I never get them again!
Aww, poor little babe! I can't imagine. I think mine is starting to spread now so I'm holding my breath to see how bad it gets. I did start the antivirals, too. Did you take the meds, as well?