Help!

Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!

My husband is a recovering narcotic abuser. He's been clean about 3 months. 3 days ago everything seemed fine, and then the doctor prescribed him pain pills and he wasn't able to refuse. We got in a fight, and now is missing work. I am so worried because we have children together and I am now 6 months pregnant. He rarely will talk to me, but all be keeps saying is he's trying to find himself right now. I am so scared he will not be able to recover and I don't know how to be there for him, or get him to come home. I can't even sleep. Please help!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kristydix, welcome to sober recovery. We are sorry what brings you here, but hope you will find support and voices of those who have been in your shoes.

Just here to let you know somebody is here, and heard your plea. Try not to fry yourself worrying about that which you in reality cannot control. It's time to look around and build a base of local support for YOU, and take steps to protect yourself, your child(ren) and baby. He is a grown man capable of taking care of himself IF HE CHOOSES.

There is a cold, hard truth to any type of addiction: you did not cause it, you cannot control it, you cannot cure it. Only the addict can choose to change, and do the long, hard work of change, to push addiction into remission.

Sending support, more will be along; I'm barely awake so apologies if this comes across harsh; we understand the devastation that addiction brings to families, to wives, to kids.

Sending gentle hugs,

CLMI
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kristi,

I don't want to tell you to go somewhere else, because in may ways, addiction is addiction regardless of substance -- however, there is a forum specifically for friends and family of substance abusers here: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I think one thing we as spouses have in common regardless of what drug of choice our significant others use is that we focus so much on the addiction that we forget ourselves. Like Catlover says -- he's a grown man who needs to take responsibility for himself; if he chooses to use again, there's not a thing you can do to stop him.

I found that when I thought my ex had gone back to drinking, I was right. But it was hard because I kept second-guessing myself. I know what it's like to be pregnant with an addict in the house. It's not something I'd wish on my worst enemy. I'm sorry you're dealing with it.