Stressed OUT!

Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Stressed OUT!

Today my dad came home drunk - again. It's sucks because he was sober for 18 days, and now he's relapsed. Anyways, him and my mom got into a fight, but they don't like fighting in front of me, so they went outside, on the porch. Then, after supper, my dad went to bed, mad, because my mom had told him that he was the only one who could change his life. And as usual, my mom followed him, and they got into another fight upstairs. An hour or so later, my mom came back down, and i could tell she had been crying. Then, i was watching TV, and she sits down next to me, and says, "Well, should we stay and try to help him through this, or should we leave and start a new life together, what's your opinion?" I replied stay, and then she said "That's my opinion too, but i don't know if that's what he wants." If my dad doesn't want to live with my mom or i why do i care so much about him, and living with him and my mom as a family? Or should i just take him saying this as the drunkness talking? I don't know what to think, one minute my dad is telling me how much he loves me, the other minute he's saying he doesn't want to live with me.

~Redhead
Old 07-27-2004, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

The alcohol does say things we wouldn't normally say.
My opinion would be that both you and your mom look for Al Anon meetings.
At the meetings you will learn much about what you can and can't do to help your dad. Your mom was correct in telling him he is the one who could change his life ... It has to be his choice.

If only we could see the pain we cause others.... Thing is when we drink, we become blind in a way. A sober life for me. May your dad find it also.

*HUG* for you
Old 07-28-2004, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey Redhead,
Glad you are here. I don't know how old you are, but have you ever attended Al-Anon? There are some great people who can support you and love you unconditionally. Growing up with an alcoholic and a family centered around that can leave you feeling neglected, hurt, and afraid. There is a place where you can feel safe, loved and nurtured. If there is any way you can attend a meeting in your area, you won't be disappointed. Alcoholism steals so much from families. I have found that I was able to build a new family in Al-Anon. Of course this forum is a great source of support. Also check out the Adult Children of Alcoholics. I'm sure you will find many who have gone through and are going through what you are. You don't have to handle this alone. Hugs, Magic