Cautiously happy?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cautiously happy?

I know this prob. belongs on the F+F of Addicts, but I feel like I know you all better...
My little brother, a veteran, finally (seriously, after *YEARS* of "you're not eligible for VA benefits" then trying to check into regular non enlisted folk rehab and finding out from those people that yeah, he's got VA benefits and can't check in b/c he has to use the VA and after years of getting d**ked around by them because "cocaine's not physically addictive" so you can't go to VA rehab) got medical clearance to go to a PTSD/TBI/drug rehab/medical facility through the VA. And he's going! He's been going to counselling, too, through them, for a while...it's his decision, and he's going!!!

Although it is the VA. So, BIG GRAIN OF SALT.
God bless our veterans, they deserve better. (IMO)

I am cynical about him sticking it out, honestly, but am incredibly hopeful for him and so very grateful and thrilled he has been given this opportunity, finally, and really glad he has made a choice to move in a healthy direction.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Well Good For You All.

So he is getting help.

How about the rest of the family?

Like you know, whether Friends and Family/Alcohol or Friends and Family/Substance -- Friends and Family is what we do best.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I do reading (and reading and reading and reading) and this forum, my parents won't do either.
They're real old school pentecostal church people. Don't believe in meetings or therapy.
They, clearly, have their own issues. I am in and out of therapy, when I can afford it, but I'm single momming it (and that is awesome, I like it better than double parenting, honestly) so, my income has to stretch and therapy is a luxury. I take care of myself, I take care of my child, I take care of my home. Everyone else gotta sort themselves out. (is that mean?)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by BodkinVanHorn View Post
Everyone else gotta sort themselves out. (is that mean?)
Naw. The only mean(ing) I find in THAT . . . is A+
Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the va in charleston is really nice. there is an addiction section in conjunction w the medical school that has pretty decent outpatient programs.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The VA was a huge help to my father in the last two years of his life after a stroke.

Sorry to hear of the long road your brother had to getting his benefits but glad it FINALLY happened. Our vets do deserve better.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MissFixIt, he'll be up north a few states, but he did do boot camp in SC. The place he's going looks really nice (much nicer than the inner city rehab he was trying to check into all those years ago) AND it's closer for me to visit (without having to see MY parents and I can work it in to my visits to exabf's parents). *BONUS*