Hi, I am new here and I hope I can vent a little

Old 03-24-2002, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Post Hi, I am new here and I hope I can vent a little

I have never been to an Al-Anon meeting yet. I was trying to find a local meeting and stumbled across this site and I am glad I did. I don't feel so alone.

My SO has been drinking ever since I met him. In and out of rehab, lost his license, etc. I guess some of you know the story. I realize now that I am the enabler. Always forgiving him and thinking he can do it on his own. He did well for 5 years and now he is drinking again.

Well, I finally decided I have had enough. I told him the other night that I fear for everyone, him included but I cannot help him anymore. He is on his own. I pray for him to find his way, and I hope he does but I know I can't live like this anymore.

I now need to take care of me, worry about me, I know I am not the cause of his drinking even if he does make me feel like I am. I don't force that alcohol to his lips.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. I hope to find a meeting soon and I hope that will help along with this.

Thanks for listening.

I was going to edit but thought never mind...lol

[This message has been edited by barbiedeb (edited March 24, 2002).]
Old 03-24-2002, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi MorningGlory

Thanks for responding to my post.This really is hard,isn't it. I have a feeling this is going to be a hard battle for me. I am so used to fixing things, hiding things, so everything seems ok. I finally realized I can't anymore. The world needs to know so to speak.

It's comforting yet so sad to realize that there are so many others going through the same thing.

Anyway, I wish you the best. And I wish me the best....lol <---there is that nervous shy laugh.

Take care
barbiedeb
Old 03-24-2002, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Barbiedeb!

Of course you can vent here! Let is all hang out. We DO want to hear it! Though our sagas may be a little different, like Morning Glory says, we've all felt the same frustration. (My dad was an alcoholic, s.o. on crack).

Keep looking for that meeting, and keep posting here!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 03-24-2002, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Smoke and thanks!!

I've been here half the day, reading the posts and feeling relief that I am not the only one going through this kind of thing. It also makes me sad that so many people are going through it. Make sense? I ramble sometimes

Anyway, I never thought I would need al-anon. I was the fixer and he was going to get better, blah, blah, blah....you know what I mean. If I posted it all here it would take two days just to type it

I have the phone number here to call regarding the local meetings in my area tomorrow. They say its a recording if you don't call Mon - Fri and I think unless I get a person, I might hang up. See there is still that denial there but I am going to be strong!!

How is the chat for al-anon on this site, I see it is Sunday nights. I was thinking of attending that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I sure feel like this is the first day of school, stumbling around but hoping to make lots of friends.

Well, I have rambled enough. Thanks for the welcome

Take care
barbiedeb
Old 03-24-2002, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Barbiedeb...
Yep the chat is tonight... 9est,6pacific.

How is the chat? Variable... depends on who shows up. Sometimes it's lively and fast and hard to keep up with and sometimes there's just 2 or 3 of us, slower and more individualized. I'll be there (I'm the Sunday nite moderator). It's very casual and the only rule is to be polite to everybody else. We won't even make you talk if you don't want to... you can eavesdrop. Feel welcome!

Smoke
Old 03-24-2002, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Smoke

Well, I will be there unless something unforseen holds me back. I used to be a good chatter back in my aol days I always try to be polite, I have a mark in my tongue from biting it

thanks for letting me know a little about.

See ya later
barbiedeb