what I want

Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

It's just what's nurtured into children in an alcoholic home. Like Hispanic or Asian families have a home culture, alcoholic families have their own culture. It's dysfunctional and backwards and sometimes downright abusive in every sense of the word. It's the only thing we know, never having had the opportunity to know what life was supposed to be like. Honestly, therapy is what has helped me the most. I'm getting better at not jumping at every little thing. I'm slower to anger and frustration. But it's taken a LOT of work. Some of it has been painful. Nobody wants to drag all that crap up after keeping it buried for so long. If he isn't in therapy or Al-Anon yet, those would be the best places to start.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=iamthird;4951966]I heard in a movie "it should be almost boring how reliable someone is"...I could not agree more. Yes,that is so right-because that is what normal is and we lose sight of it.Thanks IAMTHIRD(and in my humble opinion ,you are not!).
Old 10-13-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamthird View Post
I heard in a movie "it should be almost boring how reliable someone is"...I could not agree more.
That is so right-because reliability is normal and we lose sight of that.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
As an adult child of an alcoholic, I can attest to being a chaos junkie. If there wasn't a crisis, I'd get uneasy. And then I'd make one. It could be a total mountain out if a molehill, but it satisfied my need for chaos. Growing up in an alcoholic or drug addicted home, that's just the way life goes. There's a pretty good chance she is in denial. That's a common coping mechanism, though not an effective one. Unless/until she decides to put away the drink and confront whatever demons are haunting her, she won't change. I'm sure her past was unpleasant enough that she would rather not confront it. I understand that and I feel for her. But that still doesn't give her a right to treat you badly. No excuses.
This truly sums up my separated AH and his behavior. Thank you for helping me understand.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hammer,interestingand informative article yet very sad.Suppose the bottom line is no matter how someone may have been treated, whether in childhood or in the present -the willingness to take responsibility for our own lives and how we treat others is key to recovery for everyone? Otherwise the awful cycle just continues with victims looking for victims.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by sunday9 View Post
I was/am with my almost XABF for 6 years. I have overlooked and put up with so much chaos ....the best and worst times of my life. I have craved for my boring life I had before ABF. We are in the process of him moving out. I have the boring back. I can't quite enjoy it yet. I always begged him for "medium" to go with the highs and lows. I could put up with it all for some medium times. He couldn't compromise at all. Now that he is pretty much gone (for now) I am missing those highs and lows. I question how I could give that up and go back to boring. I am not needed anymore by him. So while I am enjoying sanity returning I am very sad. I'm kinda scared too....maybe the loss of those highs/lows?
Completely understand where you are coming from-I feel fear when in the situation ,yet still have that feeling ,in a different way without it.Read somewhere that the intensity of those feelings is a reflection of how much work we need to do on ourselves-keep going-you know you have good reasons for changing things no matter how hard right now.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by iamthird View Post
I heard in a movie "it should be almost boring how reliable someone is"...I could not agree more.
THAT. is. so. freakin. HAWT.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Christopher1 View Post
Hammer,interestingand informative article yet very sad.Suppose the bottom line is no matter how someone may have been treated, whether in childhood or in the present -the willingness to take responsibility for our own lives and how we treat others is key to recovery for everyone? Otherwise the awful cycle just continues with victims looking for victims.
For our case . . . my Therapist's caution was: Borderlines create Borderlines.

But even thought that T is a top level PhD, who teaches at a local high ranked University, she is a . . . little . . . but just a little behind on the Physiologic aspects. Being a Psychologist, who works in behaviors -- behavior is how she sees the world. Been an Engineer who does Neural work, I see things from a Hardware/Biological aspect.

In truth, we are both part right and both part wrong.

But that fits with my #1 Priority of Protect and Nurture for the kids, and again in our case, the one of the kids who has some early markers, make sure he does not have the Abandonment Experience to fully trigger the condition.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks Hammer-protecting your children obviously has to be your number1 priority-you can't "fix" your wife but you can do that for your kids-we can only do what we can do.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

-we don't have kids although we had talked about the options such as fostering some years ago-it never came to fruition though as things were never stable enough: I had this notion that maybe things would have been different if the responsibility of them had been there and that maybe SHE would then have been different,but what if that hadn't happened.....?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Christopher, the WORST thing you can do is bring children into an alcoholic home. It's abuse, as far as I'm concerned. Children are innocent and don't ask to be treated that way. You CHOSE to ride along, they don't. Please don't ever have children or bring them into that environment. Ever.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I had this notion that maybe things would have been different if the responsibility of them had been there and that maybe SHE would then have been different,but what if that hadn't happened.....?
I had the notion when I divorced that being responsible for the kids part of the time might make my ex stick to sobriety and recovery. I was wrong, and the abuse the kids suffered during that time was unacceptable. You are very, very wise to not have brought children into an unstable situation. Children are supposed to be cared for, not something you get to try to fix a broken relationship. And I'm preaching to myself here. It was a very, very bad decision to have children with an alcoholic.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
Christopher, the WORST thing you can do is bring children into an alcoholic home. It's abuse, as far as I'm concerned. Children are innocent and don't ask to be treated that way. You CHOSE to ride along, they don't. Please don't ever have children or bring them into that environment. Ever.
This is why, after 8 years of marriage, I do not have any children. As an adult child of an A father (who I didn't even realize was an A until Al Anon, all I knew was how verbally abusive he was) I know what growing up in that kind of environment does to a child and how that then totally screws them over as adults. I could never do that to a child.

This makes me insanely sad though, all I ever wanted to be is a mother and it doesn't look like that's going to happen now.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I had the notion when I divorced that being responsible for the kids part of the time might make my ex stick to sobriety and recovery. I was wrong, and the abuse the kids suffered during that time was unacceptable. You are very, very wise to not have brought children into an unstable situation. Children are supposed to be cared for, not something you get to try to fix a broken relationship. And I'm preaching to myself here. It was a very, very bad decision to have children with an alcoholic.
Ummm. No, I would say you are not. Just preaching to yourself here, that is.

I R Listening. My concern matches from your experience. I do not see where it is always best for the kids to split things up just say we did.