My visit today....

Old 04-06-2002, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Post My visit today....

Hi

I have to say my visit went better then I expected. I was very emotional. He was very surprised to see me. The people that he introduced me to were happy to me there for him also. I guess it was a major discussion with him. He said he knew I needed my space and he wasn't sure if I would come or not. He thought if he asked him mom to come it might be better. She was late Traffic around here stinks.

We all attended a 12 step meeting that was joint alcoholics anonymous and al-anon. It was very insightful. I could relate to a lot said and I cried alot too at the stories and the mirror images of our life compared to others. He and his mom saw it too. His mom even shared!! I think she should go to al-anon meetings with me but she doesn't like to go out late, she is almost 80!!

He knows we need to take it one step at a time. He told me he wasn't the same guy as the last time I saw him, and it wasn't. He was the gentle, nice guy I fell in love with, but he knows I am scared and he scared me. He scared himself with his last actions.

I told him about al-anon and he was very happy to hear that I went to a meeting. I told him I was going to continue and he was glad to hear that too. He said he goes to six meetings a day there, and has already networked to get to meetings when he gets out and they have his out patient care at the rehab just about in place. I guess he really is trying. He said he knows he needs to work the program for it to succeed.

One step, one day at a time. Or like some of the people at the meeting today said they are taking one minute at a time.

Just wanted to share my day. Some of my anxiety is gone. I feel relieved the first meeting is over. I am going to try not to worry too much about the days ahead.

Tomorrow is a day for me, sort of, I go to a wedding shower for my neice. A bunch of girly stuff, should be fun.

Take care all and again thanks for all your support. I love this place!!

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 04-06-2002, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Morning Glory,

Was just about to get to bed, going to loose an hour sleep tonight with the time change, and thought I would check on the board one more time.

I am glad the meeting went well. I guess time will tell if we get through this or not. Truthful words and truthful feelings.

His mom has been through a lot with him. I know she has to be tired of it all too. She is a spit fire for 80 though. You wouldn't know it, healthy and fit as a fiddle. She lost her husband a little over a year ago and she is finally coming out of the "funk" she was in. She certainly doesn't need this now. But I know she will always be there for him and me for that matter. She called me to see how I was this evening because I was such a wreck. She is a special, sweet lady

Well, I am off to bed. Still need to wrap the present but I can do that tomorrow.

Take care.
Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 04-07-2002, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie.
I'm glad your reunion went well!

A friend of mine's step-father was a violent alcoholic. He broke things mostly. One day he and my friend's mom were having a fight and he opened a car door violently and accidentally knocked her down. It broke her arm. He has been a faithful member of AA and a non drinker these 20 some years hence. Some people DO hear the wake up call.

Just careful, 'kay?

Love,
Smoke
Old 04-07-2002, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I'm so glad it all went well for you, I know you were so worried about it.

You have such a good start going...keep your chin up...and your expectations low...one day, one hour, one minute at a time....

Paula
Old 04-07-2002, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Smoke and Paula....I am telling you these names keep making me hum

Even though it well, believe me I haven't let my guard down, I don't think I could ever forget what happened that night, and it still nags me in the back of my head that it could happen again. I certainly hope it doesn't. I have been through these recoveries before so I really am keeping my expectations low this time.

I plan on gaining peace in my life even if he doesn't. I truly hope he makes it. Rocky road ahead for both of us but I never had al-anon helping me through before. It was there, I just didn't grasp the hand that was outreached to me Took me long enough.

You know at that meeting yesterday, the al-anon speaker didn't show. Maybe something came up, but they found a woman to tell her story and she had only been going for a couple weeks. At that moment, I felt that if they hadn't have had that woman speak that I could have even though I am a shy, introverted person because I truly believe this is going to help me. Does this make sense at all? Could one meeting bring me such hope that I am going to find peace for myself?

Anyway, there I go again...rambling on when I need to get my gift ready for this shower

I hope to see you all later at the chat.

You all take care.
Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 04-07-2002, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Debbie,

Yes, one meeting can make you feel hopeful...and the best part is that you can walk out of EVERY meeting feeling that way.

How's that sound?
Paula
Old 04-07-2002, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Paula

Sounds pretty good to me
Old 04-08-2002, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile

I felt the exact same way after one meeting... which is why I can't wait until I go to another meeting tonight. I had such a wonderful feeling after leaving the last time and I want to continue feeling like that time and time again.

Have a wonderful day!!