Serial Hobbyist

Old 10-05-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Serial Hobbyist

Since I seem to have so many similarities with people in this group I thought it was worth asking if anyone else here is a serial hobbyist like I am.

I have about a bajillion hobbies and I regularly pick up new hobbies and it occurred to me this morning (as I was searching for a Triathlon Club to join because I'm suddenly feeling dead set on completely an Ironman when I turn 30 next year) that I also have acting classes and that I was doing surfing not long ago and I have golf clubs and a professional grade DSL camera and photoshop and a blog and I'm learning French and I have a sewing machine and form and a piano (I took piano lessons earlier this year) and guitar, etc.

I am a serial hobbyist. I know a moderate amount of information about a LOT of different hobbies. The only one that I have been consistently committed to over the years is running.

Anyone else?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OMG I am impressed and exhausted reading your hobby list.
I have also consistently run for the past 30 years. It is my anti-depressant, and it works.
I keep picking up and putting down knitting - I can't advance past scarves yet! I entertain the idea of trying more hobbies (I'd love to learn to sew with a sewing machine and to quilt) but I never make the time.
Wow good luck with an Ironman. That'll be a big deal!
B
Old 10-05-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, I wish that I had the time to pursue some hobbies. Teaching First Grade right now, which means that most of my time is spent developing lesson plans, grading papers, or participating in other school activities. Any time that I have left over, I devote to my DD or a couple of close friends. I even have forsaken Yoga, since school started.
Ideally, I would like to learn the mandolin, learn Spanish, and obtain a Master Gardener's certificate. I also wouldn't mind taking up a Martial Art such as Tae kwan Do, but I am not holding my breath in this small town.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Oh yes...serial hobbyist. Always have been. Cake decorating, baking, soap making, beading, stamping, jewelry making (soldering), pottery, belly dancing, sewing, thrifting, upcycling, running, yoga, reading, scrabble...there is always something new to learn and do! I do go in cycles, leaving things for a while and coming back to them later. While I never really completely abandon a hobby, it becomes challenging to do them all and to keep adding new ones!
Old 10-05-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Reading, baking, cake making, soap making are on my list too - but I haven't done those in at least a year, save for reading which I always do come back to. Also tennis and coaching youth soccer and traveling and continuing education.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love crafts and hobbies. I do scrapbooking and stamping/card making. I do mixed media in which I love. My youngest and I do love rocks, and love that as well not so much as per making them, but the intent behind it to make someone's day and let them feel loved and cherished even if it is just for one moment of time. I love to cook. I used to blog and would love to start again. I love to bake. I think my passion is cooking, as I have been doing it since a very young age, and I am really good at it. I often make cookies and breads, coffee cakes, etc, and take them to neighbors and people at work etc. I am very interested in getting started in yoga... I am also interested in running, and mud dashes, etc... my body is getting worn out do to my age and the work I do, so I need to get some of those issues under control before I get that under way... but would love to.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cooking, baking, gardening, walking, running, biking, yoga, tennis. Contemplating more watersports like paddleboarding. Used to like sea kayaking.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not me but XAH was. It fed in nicely to his impulsive spending sprees.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I love to lie on the couch, at night, and watch my "Buns of Steel" work-out tape...over and over.

I keep thinking that I might take up some kind of hobby, sometime......

dandylion
Old 10-05-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to be, but with a full time job, a teenager and a two year old the most I can find time to do is a bit of crochet. I'm making a king size afghan for our bed. At this rate, it'll be done in ten years.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my stupid writing course! ack!

right now i'm just fascinated watching a (good sized) spider building a web on the eaves of our upper deck. note to self - there's going to be a really big web for your face if you just go waltzing out there! maybe he plans to catch a human!! eek.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm reading this forum on my tablet while crocheting a blanket (full disclosure: it's for AXBF's nephew--I've been working my way down the kids making them all blankets).

I have blankets started for my mom, myself, XABF's baby sister, and ones that don't have owners yet. I have a Kuspuk started for myself to wear this spring (Kuspuk Friday!) but so far it's just a vest without sleeves, haha.

I live at home (ugh, yeah, yeah) and I just told my mom I live in the "Projects!" I have stacks and stacks of started knitting, crocheting, and sewing projects. I used to make posterboard collages, but I've grown out of that a bit, but I still "scrapbook" them, so I have a huge stack of magazines to sort through and pull picturse out of. And then scrapbooking. And jewelry making. Want to get into painting, so I have a bunch of supplies from my grandma. And clay (not pottery, although that would be fun, but like little trinkets).

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! On the bright side, I now have a whole lot of time to finish these projects now that I'm not hanging out with my AXBF. I guess there is a silver lining afterall.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep I have a thousand projects around the house. Started but not finished. Most of them are counted cross stitch patterns.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LOVE hobbies and learning new things. I have my own craft room now, and look out world. I used to make amazing cupcakes, but started growing a not so amazing as*.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When I go into serial hobby mode (painting, sewing, knitting, crocheting, learning Latin, learning Welsh, gardening, decorating, plumbing, whatever) I've learned it's a signal that needs my attention.

I'm either bored (then it's OK).

OR

I'm avoiding other things in my life that need to be taken care of....but that I don't want to because I know it will be hard. So I create busy work for myself.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
When I go into serial hobby mode (painting, sewing, knitting, crocheting, learning Latin, learning Welsh, gardening, decorating, plumbing, whatever) I've learned it's a signal that needs my attention.

I'm either bored (then it's OK).

OR

I'm avoiding other things in my life that need to be taken care of....but that I don't want to because I know it will be hard. So I create busy work for myself.
Serens quote is spot on for me too. I actually read it mentally clapping and thinking "good one," like the families on Family Feud say when a family member makes a smart suggestion on that show.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Reading
Cooking
Yoga
Playing guitar (years ago)
Camping
Biking
Writing poetry/making cards
Making mix CD's and covers for friends

I recently started painting, which I am liking a lot. I've never considered myself a visual artist and am not very good at drawing, but I'm having fun with it.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am a wannabe.....I never ever have time for that stuff, but sure wish I did! There are a million and one things I would like to learn to do.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yesssssss, I'm a serial hobbyist. I can sleep when I'm dead. Last night I stayed up until 1am looking up knitting ideas.

I write, blog (professionally for awhile), do web design and content management as a second job, coordinate and write for a local group blog, I'm a vintage collector focusing on jewelry who also sells online occasionally, I cook almost daily, I ride my bike everywhere, knitting, baking, Halloween scheming, camping, general crafting, learning to crochet, and home renovation. And did I mention that I'm also a single mom to two?

My friends call it the shoehorn, as in, "Florence has the shoehorn out again," when I'm trying to cram thirty things into a weekend. Like this Saturday, I knitted, visited with friends, refinished my staircase, and made empanadas from scratch, and scoured the house from top to bottom.

Cut off cable TV. Suddenly there's so much time for everything.

It's really good for me. I'm prone to depression and can get really isolated and cranky when I'm not busy and stimulated. My youngest child is the same way -- she requires lots of activities and environment changes to be at her best.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And I'm trying to figure out running, but until I find a decent sports bra (at this rate, an iron cage) it ain't happening.