Reading CoDependent No More...

Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
I only saw those things in myself when I finally crawled away. What distorted thinking I had! Cringe-worthy certainly and so painful I went to Alanon so I wouldn't pick the same person again.
Yes. This. The worst denial I had was the denial about myself. I could see how I put up with things, endured things, supported him, etc... I was just trying to help. Why wasn't my help working...or appreciated. I knew what was best for him, right?

The biggest stride I have made and continue to make is accepting people for who they are, not for who I want them to be. It's a process.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have read it at different points in my own personal path and felt different each time. I think it depends on where you are in the grieving process of your relationship. There is not one person here at SR that has not grieved their relationship with the addict in their life. You are at an anger stage. Others may be sadness. However, most all say the same thing, it describes me to a T.

XXX
Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When I first read this book, I was young (22 maybe) and totally innocent, in a new relationship with a ton of red flags but could see no wrong with my A. When I read it again, I was 25 and in complete denial about my own illness, though I knew at this point how sick my A was. I hated the book, but pretended to love it as a way of proving to my A that I was healthy enough to be in a relationship with him (talk about backwards!!) and that we could save our relationship.

One day, a year or so ago, I broke down and started reading the Codependent Anonymous big book, figuring I was at my bottom and needed any help or advise I could get. I was on the verge of a nervous break down, about to relapse myself into my eating disorder, and completely irrational. Since I had that awakening to how sick I had gotten (read: very), I have been able to see Pia's message so clearly.

You're not ready 'till you're ready. And when you are, it will all make sense. That was my experience anyway. Hard to explain otherwise why a book suddenly took on a whole new meaning.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am definitely codependent but the book got on my nerves. Read it once and will probably never read it again.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you readerbaby71... That about sums it up for me too