Reminders

Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reminders

So, I am going along, doing well. Minding my business, feeling good. Then I go out this morning for the early doggy walk and the weather is beautiful! Cool and crisp, the sky is a particularly clear blue...this weather was not common where I lived for fifteen years. My only memories are from last year, and all of the sudden, this beautiful day becomes a challenge. A reminder of what alcohol has taken and I am once again thrown back a few steps... hate those reminders. As soon as I think I am good, it just comes washing back over me. What reminders catch you are off guard?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right now... everything. Absolutely everything.

Lately, I have been feeling an overwhelming sense of loss. I miss him so damn much.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya know what, It's just going to take more time.

I know this firsthand because Fall is my favorite season. I like the crisp air, sweatshirts, with socks and tennies ( no more sandals) football, leaves turning. I love October.

Anyhow, when I was with xabf I dreaded my season because he had taken over my life.

This year (after close to 4 years later) I couldn't wait. I was excited for fall and all it meant to me. I woke up energized and rejuvenated.

I bought myself a new pair of Sketchers walking shoes. They are super cute and have lime green laces. I NEVER splurged when I was with him, I never knew what financial emergency I was going to have to dish out cash for (so sad)

Point is..... it just takes time and it gets much , much , much better. I promise!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

time takes time.....for memories to not sear us with their heat, nor crush us with their power. to move from heart wrenching to bittersweet to one day a fond or slightly uncomfortable tug.

my first ex husband, my daughter's dad, passed away back in 2004 from cancer. we'd been separated since 1984 but remained good friends and co-parents. i still have his last fishing license up on the wall here in my office...it was in his tackle box with my daughter transferred to Hank. i can't take it down....

let things happen as they will, don't FIGHT against yourself, ALLOW yourself to feel but do not dwell in any place too long.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've learned to move into gratitude from down places like that. I make a gratitude list and out loud thank God for my life, health, friends, family, sobriety, work, home, dog ......... It shifts the mind of out of poor me.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was digging through some papers I had and I found a picture of me and AH right before we got married. We looked SO young and fresh and happy. I was just about to cry when my boys came into the room and started asking me about the picture, and then I remembered that I got those two beautiful children from this marriage and I felt better.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is true NYC. There is so much to be thankful for- continued healing and hope for the future. It can be a slow process but I hope that we all get there!