brother alcoholic

Old 04-24-2002, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dff1217

Unhappy brother alcoholic

i had to deal with my brother who had congestive heart failure and was an alcoholic. i slowly saw his body fade away, loosing weight, not eating, looking grey. i tried everything i could to get him to see a doctor about his health going down hill, it was a loosing battle,i decided that if he would not let me help him, then i will just enjoy him as my brother and best friend. he passed away april 9th from multiple organ failure. i will never understand why he did not want the help, now i am left here to struggle with all the why's. when alcoholics don't want help no matter what condition they are in, all you are doing is making yourself unhealthy trying. sometimes i think i should have tried harder, but maybe this is what he wanted. thanks for listening.
debbie

Old 04-24-2002, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Debbie,

I am so so sorry for your loss. At least now your brother is at peace...his suffering has ended.

When you loose a loved one the hurt never completely goes away and that space is never really filled, but it does get easier with the passage of time.

(((((Many Hugs to You)))))
Paula
Old 04-24-2002, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Debbie,
I am sorry for your loss and the pain you're feeling. My husband committed suicide years ago. I found that there are no answers for the "whys" I also learned over time that there is nothing I could have done to stop it and that nothing I did caused it. We can't create life and we can't create death. It is out of our hands. We have to trust that a power greater than ourselves is in charge of life and death. Your brother was fortunate to have you for a sister. He knows how much you loved him. Take care of yourself now.

MG

Old 04-25-2002, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Debbie.
Welcome to the recovery forum.

It is impossible to try hard enough to stop an alcoholic that does not wish to stop. The only thing you could do for him was love him through it all, which you did.

I am saddened to hear of your loss. I hope you will keep posting here.

Hugs,
Smoke