Out of my comfort zone

Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out of my comfort zone

So last week I received an invite for a dinner with the area alumnae chapter of my sorority. I RSVPd yes, but up until the last minute was back and forth with whether or not to go. That whole, "no one there will like you, they all probably have better careers, lives, etc than you". Atone point I was DEFINITELY not going. It was easier to avoid the situation to avoid being judged or hurt. I justified this by saying I could not afford that restaurant. Not worth it to spend the money. I called my sponsor and she said, "well I can't tell you what to do, but I don't think you will have any personal growth if you dont". There was an al anon meeting about an hour into the event and she helped me to come up with a plan to have an excuse to leave if it would feel like a bad idea.

I was SO anxious on Tue way there. I was second to arrive and I introduced myself. Then it was like crickets. I stared into my menu (which the prices weren't too bad at all). Until I finally got sick of it and *I* gasp broke the ice by asking her what college she went to, and it went from there. There ended up being 6 of us. They were all far older than me and looked exactly what you would think a middle aged sorority woman would look like and I really had nothing in common with them, except we were all in Tue same sorority at different colleges.

Here's the thing though (and I SO forgot about this), sorority women when they get togetherare exceedingly polite. No one talked over me when I spoke *gasp* everyone paid attention and made eye contact to whoever was talking *gasp*. And when we started reminiscing about our college days, it just flowed. The time the Al Anon meeting came and went. I was there for 2 1/2 hours. Thank God for sorority women LOL. The next event I can attend with my schedule is in Nov. I will be there.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TerpGal, kudos to you! You put yourself out there even though you were nervous and what do you know, you had a great time! And now there is a group of women you feel good with and you'll see them again. That's really wonderful, you should be proud of yourself.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Terp, what a clever answer your sponsor gave! How kind of her to help you design a good exit to a meeting if it didn't go well!

Almost all of my friends are older than me. They are great resources as they are always at least a few years ahead of my life experiences (for the most part)... Glad you didn't dismiss them and had a good time!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
― Neale Donald Walsch
Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Yay TerpGal!

I think it was smart of you to have a back up plan in case you felt you needed to leave. It sounds like having that plan in place gave you the extra confidence you needed to attend. I also think it's wonderful that you jumped in a started the conversation rolling. I'm glad you had a great time.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, you!! Great accomplishment, and you enjoyed it! You went in with a backup plan, but didn't need it. I'm really proud of you - well done!

I wish you many, many more...
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YAY for you! Isn't it lovely when people are NICE?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Originally Posted by Flavia2 View Post
“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
― Neale Donald Walsch
Great quote!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great terpgal glad you had a nice time. I always think of the sunscreen song when I hear things like this ...do one thing every day that scares you...
Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes! The way you were telling the story, I thought you ran out of there disappointed. I'm so proud of you for formulating an exit plan, pushing yourself, and giving it a chance.

For me, some of these connections have meant massive personal and professional gains. Good on you, girl.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just reading this, that is super great! You need FUN in your life!!!