SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Reminders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/345852-reminders.html)

Timeiskey 09-23-2014 02:07 PM

Reminders

So, I am going along, doing well. Minding my business, feeling good. Then I go out this morning for the early doggy walk and the weather is beautiful! Cool and crisp, the sky is a particularly clear blue...this weather was not common where I lived for fifteen years. My only memories are from last year, and all of the sudden, this beautiful day becomes a challenge. A reminder of what alcohol has taken and I am once again thrown back a few steps... hate those reminders. As soon as I think I am good, it just comes washing back over me. What reminders catch you are off guard?

BrokenInPieces 09-23-2014 02:28 PM

Right now... everything. Absolutely everything.

Lately, I have been feeling an overwhelming sense of loss. I miss him so damn much.

Sungrl 09-23-2014 02:39 PM

Ya know what, It's just going to take more time.

I know this firsthand because Fall is my favorite season. I like the crisp air, sweatshirts, with socks and tennies ( no more sandals) football, leaves turning. I love October.

Anyhow, when I was with xabf I dreaded my season because he had taken over my life.

This year (after close to 4 years later) I couldn't wait. I was excited for fall and all it meant to me. I woke up energized and rejuvenated.

I bought myself a new pair of Sketchers walking shoes. They are super cute and have lime green laces. :) I NEVER splurged when I was with him, I never knew what financial emergency I was going to have to dish out cash for (so sad)

Point is..... it just takes time and it gets much , much , much better. I promise!

AnvilheadII 09-23-2014 03:14 PM

time takes time.....for memories to not sear us with their heat, nor crush us with their power. to move from heart wrenching to bittersweet to one day a fond or slightly uncomfortable tug.

my first ex husband, my daughter's dad, passed away back in 2004 from cancer. we'd been separated since 1984 but remained good friends and co-parents. i still have his last fishing license up on the wall here in my office...it was in his tackle box with my daughter transferred to Hank. i can't take it down....

let things happen as they will, don't FIGHT against yourself, ALLOW yourself to feel but do not dwell in any place too long.

NYCDoglvr 09-23-2014 04:50 PM

I've learned to move into gratitude from down places like that. I make a gratitude list and out loud thank God for my life, health, friends, family, sobriety, work, home, dog ......... It shifts the mind of out of poor me.

EmmyG 09-23-2014 05:10 PM

I was digging through some papers I had and I found a picture of me and AH right before we got married. We looked SO young and fresh and happy. I was just about to cry when my boys came into the room and started asking me about the picture, and then I remembered that I got those two beautiful children from this marriage and I felt better.

Timeiskey 09-24-2014 04:12 PM

It is true NYC. There is so much to be thankful for- continued healing and hope for the future. It can be a slow process but I hope that we all get there!