Recovery: the physical part

Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Let me add something I learned yesterday -- buyer beware and all that, because I'm not a doctor or psychologist:

The hypothalamus works on processing complex emotions. When your hypothalamus is small (as it is in people suffering from depression and anxiety disorder) or when it's overwhelmed, it reroutes the "emotion processing" work to the amygdala. The amygdala has two settings: Fight or Flight. Either way, it triggers your system being flooded with exactly the hormones that Readerbaby talks about as tightening your psoas.

So then:

And then we're back to fight or flight and trying to produce more adrenaline, which we can't.

Vicious circle, anyone?
No thanks! I probably have a tiny hypothalamus as I suffer from severe bipolar depression. DOUBLE WHAMMY, yay......
Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I just want to add that they really believe more and more that it is fight, flight and freeze that we can get into with trauma. Freeze happens by be my fave (think of a deer in headlights).

I am frozen but ready to flee.....my hips hurt so much in that position (I have had multiple sessions with that). I am just crunch up, watching, ready to go. I am very activated but not moving if that makes sense.

That is when my hips hurt the worst.

I am SO entertained about the Pelvic Rage. My Rolfer will love it as I think she is the one who coined it for me.

One thing that has helped me with this (though I really stink at it) is hula hooping. I got a GREAT hula hoop not too long ago that is weighted.

I am going to learn to shake my booty one of these days.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My adrenals were SO exhausted & depleted by the time I started therapy/recovery that on my first visit to my acupuncturist, I burst out in tears as soon as I laid down on her treatment table. Actually I was so fatigued that I heaved myself onto that table, because my legs had almost literally become dead weights from the knees down in the months leading up to this visit. My previously healthy immune system was shattered - I caught every cold & sniffle that passed within 5 miles of me & it would linger in my system well after I should have beaten it.

Our bodies ARE amazing. I had forgotten, but last year when RAH had his infamous relapse/DUI I had an incident with my ankle that had the docs scratching their heads but that my reiki healer picked up on right away.

He relapsed on a Monday night/spent the night in jail. I handled it. He was released late Tuesday & that night I started getting these twinges on the inside of my left ankle.... like I'd bumped it against something & it was bruised, only nothing had happened. By Wed it was noticeable when I put weight on that side, by Thurs night (which happened to be Halloween, lots of walking) it was screaming & barely tolerable. No swelling, no bruising, no incident.

I could not bear an ounce of weight on it by Friday morning & couldn't even get out of bed on my own. It had swelled to about 5x it's normal size on the inside of the ankle & pain radiated in 3 directions - up the heel & back of my leg, over the top/outside & down through the bottom of the foot itself to the toes. My mom took me to the emergency clinic & they examined & xrayed & stood around scratching their heads. Finally the doc said his best guess was that all of the 3 major ligaments that run through that channel in the ankle had torn or gotten damaged somehow (would have had to MRI to determine for sure) but that that kind of TRAUMA didn't make sense when there was no incident/accident/injury. I spent 3 days on crutches & started a round of steroids to reduce the swelling & pain meds because I was in agony.

At my next reiki session (the following Wed) I did not mention it but she picked up on it... "What's going on with this left ankle, Fire??"

Me: "Idk, can't figure it out exactly."

Her: "Well, *I* know - you blew a "fuse" in your body the same way our houses blow fuses when our circuits overload..... what is happening in your LIFE this week, emotionally???"

Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Wow. I need me a reiki healer. Because I think I've got about 12 of them fuses blown.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread.....it inspired me to look for some restorative yoga/reiki sessions around here. I found one that is next Friday night, and it is BOTH restorative yoga and reiki! It's $30 for an hour and a half, which isn't bad.

Thanks again! Just what I needed today......
Old 10-03-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I injured myself at work(shoulder and neck), and the PT was complaining on Thursday how tight my back and shoulder muscles were and no wonder i'm having problems. That massage is happening next week.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Bump.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Holy cow, I CANNOT believe the difference in Where I was vs Where I Am.

I had *almost* forgotten how severely my emotional pain had physically manifested.... just reading my post gave me phantom pangs of remembered pain - it's like muscle memory. Makes my current sinus issues seem like child's play in comparison to what I've survived past previously.

I think I needed to read this today for some reason.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks Mango for the bump. The way our bodies hold onto trauma is interesting. I recently had a cranial massage and told my therapist I felt like a basket case of emotions for two weeks after that. It's like Al-anon - she told me, "You have to keep coming back to continue the healing"

I can only imagine the then vs. now Firesprite! You are an inspiration.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I just had another incient that reminded me of this thread so I thought I'd add here vs. starting new. Then I'll get back down off my ...

I did a lot of reading a couple of days ago trying to figure this out because the entire event was unusual - from how it started to how it changed & the severity it hit with initially. I think what I experienced was the rapid version of what happens when a healthy-ish person goes from sustaining several months fight-or-flight to stabilizing & trying to get back to "normal" hormone regulation. Reversing the wheels in motion. If anyone is interested, here's the long version:

I had acupuncture on Friday morning & it was one of the few sessions where I've had discomfort - the type that involves that feeling of "hurting so good" in order to feel better - the way a deep tissue massage works, lol. For me, that means that I felt the needles go in & experienced a bit more of a "pinch" for the first few minutes than I normally do. The less I "need" acupuncture, the less I feel the needles because there is no resistance. When I feel that resistance it typically means there is a blockage relative to that "spot" - I think of it like a pebble stuck in a straw - you have to move it for the energy to flow freely.

My system had kind of locked up & I was definitely experiencing signs of excess cortisol/adrenalin in my body once life stabilized a bit & my system started to correct itself. (brain fog, panic attacks, odd food cravings, increased thyroid symptoms) If I'm understanding correctly, the adrenals would have focused primarily on those ForF hormones, slowed production on the more "common" hormones like digestive, metabolic, immune system support.... and was now struggling to correct this imbalance.

That night the acupressure point in my hand related to the kidneys started screaming - totally knotted up. It continued to worsen the next day & stayed that way until Sunday night. I massaged it like crazy - it reallllly throbbed.

The physical-body pain in my kidneys started Monday morning & the acupressure point felt slightly better but the spot relative to my adrenal glands practically swelled up at the same time & it was the same thing over again - horrible pain in that one localized spot.

The internal pain came on pretty quickly, stayed intense enough that I vomited & started running a fever. Initially I thought it was kidney stones because the pain was so severe I couldn't get up from my yoga mat for hours. But I was super hydrated & had no issues with urinating or other symptoms relative to that.

By Mon night the pain moved slightly higher, into the adrenals but remained constant through the night- then again, uptick in the intensity of pain Tuesday morning, moved more to the right side & presenting more like gall bladder issues.... severe cramping, vomiting, fever, intense & sudden bloating.

Gallons of fluids to flush everything, hours of laying on my yoga mat, lots of restorative yoga poses specific to adrenal support 15 mins at a time, many times a day & lots of rest helped it along. I found I kept holding my breath & clenching my teeth so I'd have to remind myself to slow down & breathe. The pain/cramping completely stopped by the time I went to bed on Tuesday & since then I've just felt bruised & battered throughout that entire area. I really, really would've loved to have my spa back for this incident if nothing else - it definitely would have helped my comfort .

I believe acupuncture helped speed up my body's process of regulating itself again, trying to rapidly detoxify the excess hormones.

This was after just a few MONTHS of craziness & with me stuffing ZERO emotions in this process..... I'm not burying or ignoring anything IRL. No wonder we feel like human garbage when we live in this & worse or declining situations for years. No wonder it begins to infect your mind & spirit once you're physical body is so weakened. No wonder when I WAS in that position years & years ago, I just heaved myself up on that acupuncture table & started bawling because everything hurt & I had no idea where to start or how to unravel the tangled box of Christmas lights my entire physical being had become.

As badly as this event hurt & I would never sign up for it, I'm elated to have it burn through like hellfire, fast & furious & scorching, vs. having it set up camp & move in to take over. I'm also happy it happened ahead of this trip instead of it being baggage I'm taking with me. I'd much rather spend that Me-Time planning fun things like more beach trips & nights out while DD is gone.