contemplaing a career change

Old 09-08-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

contemplaing a career change

I have started reading the co-dependent no more book and it has got me thinking about my job before I became a SAHM/Daycare provider. I was a caseworker for 13 yrs with adults with disabilities/mental health concerns.

While reading the book yesterday I kept thinking back to all the things I dealt with as a caseworker. It was a stressful job and required a tough skin but I enjoyed it and was good at it. I always find it ironic that my previous employer calls me every few months to see if I am willing to come back and take on a small caseload. This does great for my self esteem- having a past employer contact me about a job! But it makes me wonder if some of my co-dependency behaviors started when I was a caseworker and when I quit to stay with the kids did I just transfer these to AH? When he was in rehab and we would talk he would tell me not to use therapy on him (which I didn't think I was and he was just paranoid.) Does this make sense?

It also has me contemplating that maybe when I return to work (after my DS starts K next yr) that it is time for a career change. With a psych degree I would probably still be in the human services field, but maybe a caseworker just isn't my cup of tea anymore.

Posting b/c it helps me put my thoughts out there...
Old 09-08-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LGL

I am a SAHM who is trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up... AGAIN.
Ugh!
It's been 11 years since I worked in a career type job, sales then and way too high pressure and time consuming to do with a DS.
Other jobs don't pay enough to cover the cost of camp/daycare for DS over the summers.
I want to do something I love... but what I love doing doesn't pay well enough.
Catch 22

There are no easy answers are there?

And thanks for reminding me I have that book, and clearly [if you've seen my other posts] I NEED to read it, ASAP!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by KidsR#1 View Post
I was a caseworker for 13 yrs with adults with disabilities/mental health concerns.
Sort of like what having an A around can be like . . . .
Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've worked in that field for 23 years. It is very rewarding but I'm over finding answers and solutions for other people. I'm over being needed by other people every minute of my day. I'm over dealing with problems. I'm tired.

The catch is I am also quite attached to my paycheck so I guess I'll just keep on keeping on, lol.

ETA: I also don't think it is a stretch to assume that my co-dependency traits landed me in this line of work. I had started out planning on something else and took a job in this field while I was finishing my degrees and never looked back. I felt really called to work here so it has overall been good.

PS - want a laugh? Guess what my original intentions were? chemical dependency counselor. I have a degree in both Psychology and Alcohol and Drug Abuse Studies. Ohhhh the irony.