God Never Gives You More Than You Can Handle

Old 09-08-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i guess god gave my son more than he could handle as he was only 16 and died of stomach cancer

i will spare people the horrors of it all and how my little lad couldn't even have just one cold drink of water to quench his thirst
watching my son waste away, he couldnt eat or drink for months and sucked like a mad man on ice for his water

it really is a cruel heartless way for anyone to die let alone my son who i loved with all my heart
i had to care for him on my own and my other kids as i am single parent his own mum is still out there drinking and has a great excuse to carry on drinking over it were as i have been sober now for 10 years and looked after my kids for the last 9 years

never did i see this cancer coming as we take our kids health for granted
but once it had hold of my son his poor little heart full of fear as he didnt want to die

but for me it proved there is no such thing as a loving careing god no one human with with any ounce of human decency would sit back and let such a thing happen if they could save them

what it shown me is your either lucky or unlucky in this world
life is life and we have to cope with it and get on
Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Stung, obviously what I ment to be encouraging to you, was not. Of course you need to determine your own spiritual walk. That is a very personal thing and can not be judged by others. And of course your thoughts on your thread are how you understand it.

Isn't the reason we are on these threads, to share, support
With our thoughts as well as to receive support and thoughts? Not just to agree with someone but to share different ways you may be able to look at things?

Like I said in the beginning of my post. I think that "stupid phrase" as you put it can be used insesenativly. But for others it may truly be offered in the spirit of caring and offering hope. For some there is a lot of meaning behind the words...
Old 09-08-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"Jesus did not come to explain away suffering or to remove it. He came to fill it with His presence." ~ Paul Claudel
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Footprints in the Sand
Footprints in the Sand, a beautiful poem!

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

- by Margaret Fishback Powers

^^^^^^^^^^^
this

I am not particularly religious. I remember going through 2 cancers at that same time, then getting a blood clot in my leg, that could have broken off and went into my lungs and that could have killed me. I was OK with all of that. I was going to volunteer with cancer patients.

Then the DV got worse in my marriage. I just hated God. I would think, why would you give me this also, I was already going to volunteer to help people go through cancer, no matter what the outcome.

Thought I could change another person, my ex, I couldn't. Had to leave my house and move in with friends. My friends where churchgoers. I told them to ask God what the H he wanted from me, and that I am not strong, and he is putting to many things on me for me to handle. Told them to tell God, not to like me so much. That I am just a total f up, and to tell God to stop it already. (lol)

I have learned to "Let Go, Let God".

He did have a purpose for me, and I hope that I am serving him well. I try to be there for someone, when they feel they can't walk, I try to give a shoulder and an ear, when someone needs one. I really do hope that I am serving him well now. He had faith in me, and I am now feeling that faith in myself.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Stung, have you read The Shack? It is a very light read but I think you would enjoy it at this stage of your spiritual journey if you haven't already read it. I loved it's fictional simplicity. I am not at all religious. I was raised Roman Catholic until age 14 when, after receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation, my parents finally allowed me to have religious freedom of choice. I have spent years referring to myself as a Pagan because I pick & choose parts of everything worth celebrating from all forms of religion & secular celebrations.

I tend to lean a lot in this direction:

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
My higher power is the universe and humanity. As naive as it may sound I do believe in the power of love, compassion and kindness. Meditation and putting Tibetan Buddhist principles into action have helped me immensely in my recovery.

P.S. I can't stand that saying either.
I believe in a kind of Universal Connectedness I guess, (how's that for made-up terms? ) I believe we come into this world with a certain amount of karma/dharma of our own which is affected directly by the choices we make.

These quotes blew my mind a few years ago too, in terms of the science/physical connectedness between us all :

“The knowledge that the atoms that comprise life on earth - the atoms that make up the human body, are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core under extreme temperatures and pressures. These stars- the high mass ones among them- went unstable in their later years- they collapsed and then exploded- scattering their enriched guts across the galaxy- guts made of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and all the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become part of gas clouds that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems- stars with orbiting planets. And those planets now have the ingredients for life itself. So that when I look up at the night sky, and I know that yes we are part of this universe, we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up- many people feel small, cause their small and the universe is big. But I feel big because my atoms came from those stars.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
“For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
With this in mind I think of "God" as residing in all of us, that when we connect to the core of good inside of ourselves we are reaching into our own divinity; when we share that outwardly we are helping others find their own divinity. That does NOT mean that I have to accept unacceptable behavior from others, I will always honor MYSELF first from the choices of others whenever I have the clarity to do so.

I also see "God" everywhere - in everything Nature, in every coincidence, in every serendipitous moment. My life is made up of too many unexplainable moments to believe any other way. While I think that ~at times~ we are tested by our own choices/decisions, I do not believe that life is a test in & off itself to "prove" anything to man or the Gods. JMHO!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

desypete, I am so very sorry for all you have been through. What a tragic loss. I admire your ability to move forward.

XXX
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Stung, have you read The Shack? It is a very light read but I think you would enjoy it at this stage of your spiritual journey if you haven't already read it. I loved it's fictional simplicity. I am not at all religious. I was raised Roman Catholic until age 14 when, after receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation, my parents finally allowed me to have religious freedom of choice. I have spent years referring to myself as a Pagan because I pick & choose parts of everything worth celebrating from all forms of religion & secular celebrations.

I tend to lean a lot in this direction:

I believe in a kind of Universal Connectedness I guess, (how's that for made-up terms? ) I believe we come into this world with a certain amount of karma/dharma of our own which is affected directly by the choices we make.

These quotes blew my mind a few years ago too, in terms of the science/physical connectedness between us all :

With this in mind I think of "God" as residing in all of us, that when we connect to the core of good inside of ourselves we are reaching into our own divinity; when we share that outwardly we are helping others find their own divinity. That does NOT mean that I have to accept unacceptable behavior from others, I will always honor MYSELF first from the choices of others whenever I have the clarity to do so.

I also see "God" everywhere - in everything Nature, in every coincidence, in every serendipitous moment. My life is made up of too many unexplainable moments to believe any other way. While I think that ~at times~ we are tested by our own choices/decisions, I do not believe that life is a test in & off itself to "prove" anything to man or the Gods. JMHO!
Love what you shared here. I am a practicing Christian but was raised without any kind of faith or religion. I have a mixed up family where some of us are Christians, some have no religion at all, and some are like you but refer to themselves as pantheistic.

My cousin is a tarot card reader and an psychic medium. Now, most Christians would shy away from her and call her the devil but I have a hard time believing that the sweetest, most supportive woman in my life is satan, quite frankly. Honestly, when I need a shoulder to cry on, she's the first person I think of who can lift me up, tell me how beautiful I am and how beautiful the world we live in is, and tell me to search my heart and cry out to my God. She follows a lot of Native American traditions (they built an awesome tee pee on their property) as well as Buddhist practices but I love how she doesn't judge, she doesn't condemn, she just loves.....and I think that's the most important thing no matter where you are spiritually: learning to just love and to just let others be where they are and letting them find their own path. The world would be a better place if there were more people like her and I strive to learn from her despite our differences in our faiths.

And, Stung, I hate that saying too. My sister was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 5 and my family fell apart at the seams. I spent most of my childhood mad at God for allowing this to happen to us. I know better now, but learning and reading and spending time with God was really where I found my answers. I agree with reading "The Shack", it's a great book and an easy read.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
My cousin is a tarot card reader and an psychic medium. Now, most Christians would shy away from her and call her the devil but I have a hard time believing that the sweetest, most supportive woman in my life is satan, quite frankly. Honestly, when I need a shoulder to cry on, she's the first person I think of who can lift me up, tell me how beautiful I am and how beautiful the world we live in is, and tell me to search my heart and cry out to my God. She follows a lot of Native American traditions (they built an awesome tee pee on their property) as well as Buddhist practices but I love how she doesn't judge, she doesn't condemn, she just loves.....and I think that's the most important thing no matter where you are spiritually: learning to just love and to just let others be where they are and letting them find their own path. The world would be a better place if there were more people like her and I strive to learn from her despite our differences in our faiths.
My BFF is Cherokee as well, RAH too.... to a lesser degree. She has the most AMAZING outlook in life, I don't know where I would be without her. Another great, grounded friend of mine is descendent of the Apache tribe. (I think) My reiki healer is the most gifted medium I have ever met & she has introduced me to so many others with incredible talents. She has helped me tremendously in tuning in & hearing my own Spirit Guides/Gut Instincts. I recently took Mysticism workshops with the most amazing Mystic I have ever met (he studied with the Dalai Lama) & have had healing treatments done with alternative healers from as far as the Czech Republic.

The funny thing is the more I examine, the fewer differences I see between faiths. Do good. Be good. Show others how to be good. The commonalities are far greater than the niggling details of the dogma specific to each.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't believe that platitude, and neither does Harold Kushner, who wrote WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE (Great book. I highly recommend it.)
Old 09-09-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

when you meet trials of various kinds

Testing of Your Faith

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.

(James 1:2-3 ESV)

James 1:2–4 Joy in Trials. Trials are designed to produce spiritual maturity and should therefore be counted as joy.

James 1:2 Trials are “tests” that challenge faith (vv. 2–5). When trials occur, one should count it all joy—not meaning mere worldly, temporal happiness, but rather spiritual, enduring, “complete joy” in the Lord who is sovereign over all things, including trials.

James 1:3 Testing of your faith defines the meaning of a trial for the Christian: as Jesus was “tested” in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1–13), so believers are tested. The Greek dokimion (“testing”) denotes a positive test intended to make one’s faith “genuine” (cf. 1 Pet. 1:7). The result is steadfastness, a life of faithful endurance amid troubles and afflictions.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Desypete, there are no words. I cannot fathom losing a child and the amount of courage it would take to move forward everyday afterwards.

Firesprite, I haven't heard of that book but I'll definitely go check it out. My sponsor and I were joking about how I believe in God but I don't know which, if any, set of rules (religion) I want to follow. And she corrected me and said "you mean, which gang you want to join?" LOL. I kind of like little bits and pieces of different religions (I took a World Religions class in college as my anthropology requirement) but I don't view God as an all powerful force. I agree with Desypete's observation that if there was an all powerful force that was all loving and had the ability to create miracles then children wouldn't die, they wouldn't hurt.

With that in mind I kind of tend to think of God in an old testament/Jewish way where God makes you suffer if you don't mind him. There is a lot of suffering in this world.

What I'm trying to wrap my mind around is that God is more like a general loving presence that is always with you. God doesn't have the power and ability to heal or change things or the ability to give you sh*t. God is OUR ability to make changes that we're capable of and love people like Jesus loved people, especially people who are more difficult to love, like prostitutes or active alcoholics. IDK, I really struggle with what I think God is. If God can't make bad things go away then how can God give you bad things to begin with? Why are there never any answers to my questions?!

WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE (Great book. I highly recommend it.)
This has been recommended to me a few times and I've never heard anyone give it anything but glowing reviews. Adding it to my booklist.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I look at it this way.

Jesus came and said "this you will do & more" after healing people of all sorts of disease & disability.

If, as the Bible says, we are made in Gods image, that means we are smart enough to figure out how to heal our sick & disabled of anything that may afflict them.'

It just hasn't happened YET.

But the more we crack DNA codes etc, it will happen. Maybe not in our lifetime, but it will happen.

If that seems too outrageous, imagine travelling back in time & trying to convince someone in the 18th century of air-planes, organ transplant, microwave ovens etc .... you would be hung for witchcraft or be locked in an asylum.

Now ... what about all the other stuff that happens, besides disease & disability?

WE do the rest of it, not God.

He doesn't kill, maim, rape or starve people. He doesn't hoard money enough to feed, clothe & home the entire population of the world 10 x over. God never started ANY war ... people started them in his name, sure, but that is not the same thing.

Humans do all that stuff & God gave us freewill.

As a parent, perhaps God realises that we have to learn for ourselves, he cannot be there to hold our hands & intervene in every circumstance ... any more than I can hold my kids hands 24 hours a day and prevent every little accident. Nor should I wish to.

How does God live with himself, knowing that all the above goes on & more.

He knows where we will end up when we die.

An eternal being must surely look at our minuscule amount of time here on earth & think something like "You'll be home soon"

Lastly .... what about Hell ?

Well, what gives me some hope on that front is that "Hell" is simply a metaphor for Earth.
In the Bible, Lucifer, the Angel of light, was cast out of heaven & fell to earth (not Hell)

So, maybe, it follows that each of us here on earth, is simply, an Angel, fallen to earth.

Not so much a physical being having fallen (I know where babies come from) but more like our souls are recycled over & over, till we achieve a state of human consciousness, sufficient that God retires that soul, to live with him forever.

There you have it, the ramblings of a God botherer 101
Old 09-10-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

@ whale

i agree totally that god is not there to hold anyones hands in this life and that we have to do it ourselves and that includes a god being able to remove a compulsion to drink as he wouldn't have time to be there for it like you say

i mean you can not have it both ways that god removes compulsions for drink but will sit back and not remove a cancer or suffering from others if he was sought, it just doesnt make sense
Old 09-10-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Agreed Pete, it does seem odd that God would lend a hand to alcoholics but not cancer patients.

The only explanation I have is this.

The Big Book tells us that the problem is two fold, in our body & in our mind.

Perhaps & this is just my opinion, God brings about a "psychic" change, sufficient to be rid of the compulsion. As any alcoholic who has drank again after having that compulsion removed, can tell you, the physical side of it certainly isn't removed.

Maybe that is the difference. Mental or Psychic change vs Physical.

I don't know, it is only the thing that seems to make any sense.

Is that a choice God makes or is it something he cannot effect on earth ie: physical change ?

Again, I don't know.

I know when my Father died, my faith as to where, I believe, his soul was going, gave me great comfort. Hardly a tear.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Why are there never any answers to my questions?!

ROTF.

There is a whole book on this one, too. Includes that same exact question.

The book is called Job. I Do Not recommend it for you in the here and now, but then again who knows? You would likely get a lot more questions to your answers. ummm Yeah.

So God does not follow your accounting methods? Sucks for you. Did not really seem to follow all my best engineering, either. Good thing in that regard.

You really do have to find your own path. It is right there and it is simple, just in the dark it can be rough going.

If you stay frustrated and confused for too long for you, maybe consider it like a business management exercise? This is a Vertical Hierarchy structure. And you are not on the top.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My favorite analysis of the Book of Job (my SR namesake!) is the idea that Job (a righteous human) gets dissed on due to a bet between God & Satan (WTH?). So Job is absolutely right in his self righteous tirades against God hollering in prose for many lines of "WTH God?!" So the Book of Job is the parable telling why God realized this imbalance and determined to experience the human condition by sending his son. It can be sort of a preamble to the transition of God between the Jewish YYWH of 'I am' and the Christian triad. Of course I did not come up with this, this is my ten second Carl Jung summary from Answer to Job. Which really is beyond me as it goes on beyond this in much more Jungian terms.

I love underdogs like Job. Take on God and win? Who would have thought!? Nothing like a good paradox.

The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith (NOT Mother Teresa)

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

© Copyright Kent M. Keith 1968, renewed 2001
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Rowan Atkinson - God's Mysterious Ways - YouTube
Old 09-10-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Desypete, my heart goes out to you, I can't imagine enduring a tragedy like that. I understand your feelings. A big hug.....
Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

God as explained by Mr. Bean

I have too many questions that just cannot be answered simply because there are no answers. The world is just a chaotic, random place.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It is a fragile, narrow, and limited realm where our accounting and numbers "work." We see things quite backwards. We think our numbers are real.

The rest of the universe and most of humanity, for that matter, does not really care about them.

The Mediation Judge advised me the "worse" are: (in this order)

1. Airline Pilots
2. Engineers
3. CPA/Accountants