Very OT but talk me out of this...

Old 08-31-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very OT but talk me out of this...

I really want to replace AH.

I want someone to be thrilled to see me when i come home, to cuddle up on the couch with me, to want to come places, do things, to shower me with their happiness.

Talk me out of this please!!!!

I'm not talking about a MAN pfft....I'm talking about a little pooch!! Really want a miniature schnauzer. I've had pooches all my life ex the last 7 years with AHas he never wanted a pooch. I miss them. These guys don't shed, are great with kids, only need moderate exercise and have a great sunny disposition. Nothing like AH.

BUT...I really DON'T need another being to look after right now...do I? And is it fair for poochie to be alone for up to 10 hours a day 3 days a week.... Is it? And if I have to sell, I'll need to rent....and it's hard enough to get a rental as a single mum of 3 kids, let alone one with a dog!!!! And they cost money, and money might be tight coming up. we have no yard to speak of. And then there is poo...poo is bad...isn't it? I don't like poo that much. And pooch smell on the couch. That's not nice...is it?

TALK ME OUT OF THIS!!

Bummer pic won't work...

http://petparent.me/blog/wp-content/...-schnauzer.jpg if you want to see this little face...my AH isn't as nearly as cute....
Old 08-31-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jarp View Post
I really want to replace AH.

I want someone to be thrilled to see me when i come home, to cuddle up on the couch with me, to want to come places, do things, to shower me with their happiness.

Talk me out of this please!!!!

I'm not talking about a MAN pfft....I'm talking about a little pooch!! Really want a miniature schnauzer. I've had pooches all my life ex the last 7 years with AHas he never wanted a pooch. I miss them. These guys don't shed, are great with kids, only need moderate exercise and have a great sunny disposition. Nothing like AH.

BUT...I really DON'T need another being to look after right now...do I? And is it fair for poochie to be alone for up to 10 hours a day 3 days a week.... Is it? And if I have to sell, I'll need to rent....and it's hard enough to get a rental as a single mum of 3 kids, let alone one with a dog!!!! And they cost money, and money might be tight coming up. we have no yard to speak of. And then there is poo...poo is bad...isn't it? I don't like poo that much. And pooch smell on the couch. That's not nice...is it?

TALK ME OUT OF THIS!!

Bummer pic won't work...
AH HAHAHAHAHA!!!! When I read the first few lines, I immediately thought to myself,"She should get a dog!" LMAO!!!!

I love my girl so much...... just sayin.......

Sorry.... I love love LOVE doggies way too much to talk anyone out of getting one! lol Maybe they could use a pal to combat loneliness? See? I'm talking you into getting TWO! lol

I'll just go now....

Peace.

Edit: Though I will say, in all honesty, one of the reasons I have been having a hard time leaving my sh!thead of a soon to be ex husband is because it is hard to find a place that accepts dogs.... and if not for that I would have gone to a shelter at the beginning of this marriage, for SURE...and I have a big dog.... and there's no way I'm giving her up. Not fair to her....or me! Sigh. But, yeah. That's true - there is a lot of discrimination against (wo)man's best friend
Old 08-31-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Omgosh...two?????

They are $2000 eekkkkkk.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am probably not going to help at all by suggesting names: Mr/Miss Beardsley, Fred, Lauren Barkall, and my personal favorite, Bob Barker.
This is your fault for linking that photo! I don't think you want anyone to try too hard to talk you out of this, lol. Only a heart of stone could resist that face.
Maybe you can have someone come in on those days that you'll be gone for long hours so the dog won't be lonely. There are dog walking services and such.
I am singularly failing at talking you out of getting a dog.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think a dog is a great idea but I would wait. See what develops, if you will need to move, etc. Save it as something to look forward to just a little bit down the road.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Santa....in case you do not find a place that takes poochies.

Just maybe a bit of waiting? Its tempting to do something spur of the moment, especially when you know what joy it will bring. But waiting a little while will only make it sweeter when you can do it.

I do love Schnauzers though
Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I, too, am a huge dog lover, and they give so much. I have a one--a border collie/lab mix. My mother had a Schnauzer named Andy and your picture reminds me so much of him. (My mother's third husband's name was Spike, and one day a friend went to visit my mother and brought her five year old daughter. My mother heard the the daughter say to her mom, "Mommy, why is the dog's name Andy and the man's name is Spike?" I always thought that was so cute!)

But, anyway, back to the topic, I kind of agree with Santa--keep the idea of owning a dog definitely in your plans, but not sure this is the right time for all the reasons you mentioned--it may be too disruptive at this particular point in time. Think about all the things that need tending to, and ask yourself if you really have time for one more thing. Ask yourself if more restrictions on your options will still get you where you need to be or not.

But I do love that pic!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here's my story: we had gotten a beautiful dog together when we were dating and he was precious. But, my husband's illness started to take all my attention. Then we had a baby and I was even more exhausted. Taking care of a little one and a husband the dog ended up being very depressed. Not to mention that MY husband would pick on him during his drunken nights. So I ended up having to give my favourite dog away. I get regular pictures and stuff and am glad that he has a wonderful happy home. Please don't put an innocent one into a situation that isn't healthy or neglecting. It will just make your work harder and get heavier. Trust me I still feel guilty for only letting my dog outside to walk for thirty minutes a day. It was all I could muster of my time and energy and he deserved so much more!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, Jarp, I'm no help. I raised miniature schnauzers - avocation - for 20 years, had well over a hundred puppies, and now the great-granddaughter, end of the line, and sweetest dog of all, has been my constant loving companion since I left my AH.

It's all you imagine, and more. And they love kids, are happy inside at home or out romping with kids, love walks. They are "doorbells" - as terriers they bark when they see someone, and are more people dogs than dog dogs. Love to cuddle, affectionate, very smart. Smarter than me, actually. Taught one to sneeze to get a cookie, and she turned it into a demand that I give her a cookie on demand when she sneezed. They have a sense of humor and understand a whole lot of what is going on. Very interactive.

They don't shed, and with a bath every week or so, they don't smell. You have to have them clipped every couple of months, but you can buy clippers and do it yourself.

If you're thinking of the dog in the picture - it is a charmer! Looks a little older? Hard to keep a collar on a puppy in a litter. Great sport to take the other puppy's collar off. They can be trained by crate training, and shouldn't have many accidents. They can learn to go outside, and we have to learn to get them there in time. We used to sell them for $600 to $800.

Anyway, I'm a subversive element on this topic!

ShootingStar1
Old 08-31-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't cut off your hair, remarry or get a dog for the first year.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

jarp....I hate to say what I am about to say....because I have been adopting rescue dogs and cats for my entire life. Sooo, you know where my heart is!

This is a time to be realistic about what you take on---being realistic about your current situation. Every animal that I have taken in has been because someone had gotten carried away about how cute or loveable that animal was....then, when "real life" became an issue....the animal was tossed aside. I believe that if one takes on an animal (voluntarily), that there is a moral obligation for the life of the animal. The animal needs should be considered before the desires of the potential owner.

I agree with the others who have said that you should plan to have a dog if you have that desire....down the road. When you have a better set-up for the dog.

I am so sorry to come across as such a buzzkill.

dandylion
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jarp, I am a dog lover, too, and I can't say enough about how great it is to have a dog (or two or ten...). However, I do have to agree w/those who say to wait until things are more stable before getting a dog (or two or ten). When things came to light regarding my A's drinking and he was showing no desire to get sober, I had 2 great concerns, one being that for the first time in my life I wasn't earning enough to live on my own, by any stretch of funds, and the other being that I had 3 dogs to think of, one of whom was a 16-year-old, incontinent basset who couldn't walk and could barely see. There was no question about me being able to afford an apartment, and even if I could, no sane landlord would let me move in w/3 dogs, let alone w/my poor old Sam's condition. Hence, there was simply no way I was going to leave at that point. Dogs are the absolute greatest, and they deserve our utmost commitment--your life may have too much turmoil right now for you to make that lasting commitment.

HOWEVER--I bet you have at least one, if not a whole bunch, of local animal shelters who are crying for help. In my area, you can volunteer to help w/walking, cleaning animal areas, doing laundry, feeding, working w/potential adopters, you name it. It sounds as if you maybe haven't had a dog before, and this would be an excellent way for you to gain experience before making the commitment, as well as a great way to feel good about helping and a way to get out of your house and meet new people. I hope you check into it--it might be helpful on a whole bunch of levels!

And poo? Well, what's a little poo amongst friends, is what I always say....

Let me know if you do check into volunteering. I'm curious to hear what you come up with!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ditto on volunteering @ a local shelter.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, don't mean to get on a soap box, but there are lots of sweet and deserving dogs at the shelters that don't cost an arm and a leg and can provide you with that big doggy love!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just throwing this out there...

...if you need a dog for a medical purpose - either physical or mental - you can get a doctor's note that states this. Look up federal law for service dogs (physical) and support animals (mental)....

Peace.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"And poo? Well, what's a little poo amongst friends, is what I always say..."

OH, HONEYPIG!!!!!

That made me laugh out loud so hard!!!!!

Thanks for that lol.

And, for the record, I agree. lol

Peace.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fostering in-home and volunteering at a shelter might help.

That way you can help puppies and dogs in need when you can, without the fulltime commitment you're not ready for.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can not tell you what to do... we added a baby boxer to our family in January bringing our responsibility up to 3... we now have 2 Boxers and a Rottweiler. He's not a lot of work for me but he's an ******* and makes a MESS of everything! I Love him to bits n pieces!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

dogs require, good food, love attention, Vet care and exercise. my 5 cats and small Pom cost me over $25.00 a week plus grooming fees for the dog cost about $75.00 every 3 months, teeth cleaning, etc (good doggie hygiene for teeth is important).

now exercise is the most important...I also work full time, but I get up earlier to walk my dog and make arrangements for him during the day (dog sitter)...the pets get fed before me every evening....

will you kids help you? are they old enough? do they understand the responsibility?

I adopted an adult dog, a litte fullbred Pomeranian who was mistreated. took me a month to crate train him/housebreak him. but he is great and loves the cats (who think he is another cat)
Old 08-31-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There is never "the right time" for anything.

I say go for it. Nothing like pet therapy.