Very OT but talk me out of this...

Old 08-31-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As much of a dog lover as I am, I would suggest waiting til you're a bit more stable in your life before adopting a dog. And when you do, check out the shelters for rescues who need loving homes.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone....sigh....you have done what I asked.....

This wouldn't have really been a 'right now' thing...more something to look forward to once we get everything sorted. I'll still keep mulling things over and researching.

I've had dogs all my life - the exH got my dog in our divorce. He was a builder and our girl went everywhere with him and just had the best life....and I couldnt provide her with that same life...so he got to have her live with him. She was from a shelter and half staffy, half Australian cattle dog (we think)....and was a total delight, but a complete handful and required lots of training (and retraining when we had our first child), loads of exercise and was totally destructive when not with people - she HATED being alone.

I was thinking of a breed this time as with three kids I want to be more certain of temprement....although last night I found a foster program and the foster family will give you much more detail on the dogs temprement than a shelter can....so I'll look into that too. Also found a rescue schnauser group, and one where dogs bred for their show qualities are rejected bc they dont have the 'right' traits or characteristics...so a little older.

I've not had a dog since AH as he believes dogs should live outside, and to me that's no dog's life! A dog is a family member.

I'll give it time and reassess when everythings settled.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I want someone to be thrilled to see me when i come home, to cuddle up on the couch with me, to want to come places, do things, to shower me with their happiness.
Dog. Dog. Dog. Dog.
Oh, and dog.
Did I say dog?

I think you should get a dog.
Seriously.

Dog.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jarp View Post
Thanks everyone....sigh....you have done what I asked.....

This wouldn't have really been a 'right now' thing...more something to look forward to once we get everything sorted.
I think that's all we are saying! Something to look forward to, you'll know when the time is right.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well how's THIS for the best of both worlds????

I just talked my MUM into a doggy!!!! She's never been without a dog until her last doggie died 2.5 years ago. She was Dads carer until he died 4 months ago so never got another dog, plus she really grieved her last girl pooch.

She's been wanting another dog, but not sure what sort.

She's off overseas to see her family before she gets one, but she put her name down on the rescue list today to meet doggies when she returns on November.

So we'll get some doggie love and although my daughters knew my doggie who lived with my ex, this will give them and my son a chance to know a pooch well and help Nanna with hers which will give me a good chance to see how they go around a pooch, and pooch can come stay when my mum stays too.

So win-win!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh jarp, that's PERFECT!!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dog-sharing sounds good, very smart solution...and if your mother travels, the dog can stay with you part time. Excellent idea! a winning solution for all of you.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yay!!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Lol so funny but Sorry jarp I'm not going to be any help either, I love my Bassett hound, Buffy she is so fun and gives me such a lovely warm and happy welcome when I come home from work she is so pleased to see me. I wouldn't be without her, but I would wait until you see if you have to move and whether your new place will accept pooches and has a yard or garden for the dog. If you can though get the dog you won't regret it
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Haha! Oh Jarp, I'm having the same feeling but I'm crazy because I already have enough going on! I just want to say I grew up with mini Schnauzers and there is no cuter puppy. I've been googling them a lot lately!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oh good! I love my doggie!!!!

I have a dog, two cats, and a guinea pig (she is my DD's). I did only have one cat, but my kitten was stranded by it's mom at my sister's house, who was going to be out of town. She asked us to "foster" the kitten for a couple of weeks. Needless to say, baby Willow belongs to me now! Love all of them!

I am a strong believer that pets make life more bearable and fun for everyone!

Glad to hear of a solution for all of you!