Ptsd

Old 08-23-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ptsd

Anyone else suffering from PTSD as a result of the trauma the A causrd?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel like I am at times. 2 alcoholics, and 2 opiate/heroin addicts. My list of "qualifiers" is long
Old 08-23-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not from the A relationship, but I do suffer from PTSD. Had an especially bad time this week. I am usually able to manage very well, and rarely have symptoms flare up this bad.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How does one heal PTSD when the threat is still present?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thinking of you ladyscribbler and smc
Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You actually can get a start. I did a technique called exposure therapy with one of the combat stress docs while I was still in Iraq. It was pretty successful. Since returning home I've learned to manage my symptoms and do good self care so that I no longer need medication. Most of the time I am like a normal person.
This is actually the worst it's been since right after I returned in 2007. My therapist at the VA said that maybe because I'm healing from the turmoil of the alcoholic relationship and have rebuilt my life and now have some free space in my head that these things are coming back now. It was a really specific event that triggered it this week, and I haven't been able to bounce back the way I normally do.
You can work with a therapist and begin healing, even in the midst of an ongoing traumatic situation.
Hugs to you KI.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ladyscribbler I think the roller coaster of emotions you go through when you love an addict could most definitely trigger your PTSD. Hugs- I can not imagine being in combat
Old 08-23-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I'm an ACOA; I was born with PTSD. Things will hit me right in the gut when I'm least expecting it. Mostly it's when people are behaving like my AM. They don't even have to be actively drinking A's. People with NPD/BPD, abusers, and dry drunks really set it off sometimes. I've gotten a lot better in dealing with it, which is why I try to back off when they get going. I don't need to dive headfirst back into it and end up having to start from scratch.

My FIL, unfortunately, is one of those who will trigger me just by being in my presence. He's a narcissist and generally an all-around a$$hole.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't post much, but I do read through here every day.

I'm an ACON (Adult Child of Narcissists). It's been a PTSD ride for a long time. Add to that 23 years with an A (he died in 2012 - alcohol related), and it's been a journey.

I've been in recovery from the Ns in my life for almost five years. Lots of good progress there. Even though I am a compulsive reader/learner and thought I understood alcoholism, I've made more progress since my A's death, when I started reading and finally joined this forum.

I wish I would have found you guys a long time ago. Understanding the afflictions of NPD, addictions and co-dependancy...along with the sharing and support here has really helped. I sure don't feel alone and crazy anymore.

I'm less anxious and twitchy than I was a couple of years ago.

Steady progress...

(((Thanks to you all!)))

Old 08-24-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a very insightful book that I found helpful: In An Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness.

The author, Peter Levine, PhD, is both a trauma therapist and a brain researcher, and he has tied together the threads of the physiological changes that trauma causes with the emotional aspects of the trauma. I highly recommend the book.

ShootingStar1
Old 08-24-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suffer from PTSD from my relationship from my A. I was diagnosed one year ago and then confirmed while in the hospital in march. I take meds and use therapy. I try to keep things in perspective and believe it or not, my A is a really big help on my bad days. I can call him in the middle of a breakdown while at work and he talks me through it probably because he knows where it is coming from.

It sucks, I know that.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes.

I had to put a far distance between us.