**Please respond** I really could use some advice

Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

**Please respond** I really could use some advice

I am having trouble with someone who admits he drinks because he has problems, but I am also concerned that maybe I was a little controlling about his behavior. In the beginning he told me that a girl, who is his friend, poured all of his beer down the drain (this was NOT me, so please do not think otherwise. he was on the phone, speaking with me about this. In fact he was a bit drunk at the time). He said the two of them had a huge argument, and they continued to be just friends, rather than a couple. At this point, he said that he would not allow a girl to come in between him and his beer.

However, I told him he deserved 'the loss of his beer' because this girl wanted to 'be with him', rather than with his beer. He had romantic feelings for me, so he decided he would only speak with me while he was sober. However, sometimes when I would text or message him, he would be at a party, or he would be drinking because sometimes he cannot handle the stress of his problems. Furthermore, he does not like talkative girls, but in my opinion, even shy girls (like me) become talkative once you get to know them. I could not understand why he would find this annoying and offensive. But he told me I could call and message him when ever I wanted. So i would send him a message before calling him, and sometimes I would share funny pictures with him through messenger.

Then one day, he decided he didn’t want to be my friend anymore because he was becoming annoyed with my messages. He told me his plate was too full to fit me into his life, even though he wanted me to message him all the time. Before this, I asked him if it annoyed him because he just stopped replying to my messages. Then I stopped for a day and asked when I could talk with him because he never minded it before, and I was trying to understand what I could do to make it easier. He then started to accuse me of things because he really hurt me as a friend, and I had sent him a ton of messages wanting to talk with him about the situation. He told me I assumed a lot of things about him, and he couldn’t possibly see me as a friend.

There is more to the story, so if someone would hear me out, maybe in a private message, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome,

I am so sorry, it's hurtful to be rejected. A couple of things came to mind here. One that he is just not interested anymore and is not a very nice person. Two that it's possible he has a drinking problem and just wants that. I would not be surprised if he is talking to someone else.

You don't want someone who you have to be on guard with and wonder if they like you or not, or if you are talking too much or not. When you find the right person, you will click.

Walk away with your head held high.

Glad you found SR, you will get good support here!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry I don't really have any advice but it seems to me as if perhaps his beer has become just a bit too important to him, although I could be wrong. I am sure someone else here will have more insight
Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If someone doesn't want to be your friend any more, just leave it. It sounds as though he has an awful lot of issues and is possibly not someone you'd be able to stay friends with AND keep your sanity at the same time. We don't know precisely what's going on for him, but continuing to pursue him - even if only to try to make sense of what's happened - will be likely to cause you further pain and feelings of rejection.

There are plenty of people out there who will welcome you and your friendship; don't waste time with someone who's too wrapped up in themselves to care.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like you ignored some very important red flags. He told you exactly who he was.......no one was going to come between him and his beer. He doesn't want a talkative GF or friend.

I think you were way more into him then he was into you alcoholics only ever have one true relationship and that is with there booze.

It may not feel like it right now but this guy has done you a giant favor by ending the relationship.

Please know, you are going to make some guy really happy and have a healthy relationship it's just not going to be with this guy.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome!

I have two trains of thought here:

1) One thing I tell my kids (teens) is this: NEVER chase a friendship or a relationship. If someone doesn't appreciate you and want a relationship with you for who you are, chasing them is going to bring you nothing but grief. That's totally unrelated to alcohol.

2) You're trying to change yourself to be the girl you think he wants. That's always a bad idea, also. Trust me. I tried for a loooooong time (20 years) to try to become the woman my ex wanted. I thought if I just became perfect, he wouldn't have to drink. The result was that I lost myself, I was miserable, and he was still drinking hard as always.

When someone walks away from you, let them walk. That's my 5 cents.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is your concern? What questions do you need answered or in what regards do you need advise or info on? Are you needing support? Do you need to have a listening ear? Please feel free to free your story. Sometimes writing help gives a clearer picture.
Hug
Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thinking he is showing you who he truly is,

is there a reason you are choosing not to believe him?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everyone has problems. The answer to those problems is NOT alcohol. He drinks because he is an alcoholic, not because he has problems. He sounds selfish and controlling. Why does he get to decide when a girl can talk, send a message, etc? That's crazy.

He has done you a HUGE favor. I would stay as far away as possible. This is not a relationship that will have anything positive to offer you.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the support and help. I have been on a couple of other forums, but I just felt like no one would respond. They were relationship boards, but then someone thought maybe I should seek help from people who know about alcohol addictions because I never dealt with a person who was like this.

It's not that I don't believe him. He initiated a lot of contact in the beginning, and wanted to be my friend. I always felt otherwise because he would talk about how some girls run their mouths too often, and even though this one girl liked him, he got annoyed with her because he felt she was a stalker after she wrote him a letter, and placed it in his mailbox.

I just feel that maybe I was not supportive enough with his "current addiction" as he would call it, at least as a friend. He also enjoys smoking pot once in awhile too. The sad part is that he knows he has a problem, but he does not want to try to fix it. Instead he jokes about it like he doesn't have a problem. He also used to like it when I just joked about it with him because when I told him that maybe he was drinking too much, he would drink more. Sometimes whiskey or gin. He always has cases of beer too. He and his brother always buy more.

He basically accused me of being judgmental of his staring. He was annoyed that I judged him because he would stare at my breasts, and sometimes I felt he thought about me explicitly. One instance was when I was telling a story about my dentist, saying my mouth was 'too small' for my teeth. He stared at me, and you know our friend sitting next to him, who is girl, smirked as well. But he made me feel like that's all he wanted from me.

To contradict my theory, he stated that he wanted to establish a friendship with me, and that I had wronged him because I felt the way I did. He said I disrespected him because I didn't take into account the reasons for his addictions because we were having issues with 'money'. I'll try to explain.

The thing is, I was told by my family that a guy would offer to pay for me on a date. I had done a lot for him already, which I will explain. I had an issue with one of my friends who was obsessed with him. I guess you can say infatuated. She felt he was one of her best friends, but she also had a huge crush on him. I didn't know him very well at the time, but I met him through her. I always felt that they did sort of like each other as they were very good friends and they got along well. But he said that he and her would never work out because she is too demanding. However, when ever she wanted him to hangout, he would be there, and sometimes I felt left out of the group entirely. There was a joke going on that these two would be married, but he was often annoyed with her about it, yet her never made her stop. He would even allow her to kiss him on the cheek.

Anyway, this girl liked having parties. She decided to have a small Christmas party on our college campus, and wanted us to buy presents. However, she only told me and her other friend G. Me and G got something for her, but because I hung out with all three, I decided to be nice and get something for him, her, and G. They were happy with it. She gave me a gift, but no one else did anything for me. I was ok with it though because I wasn't expecting anything at the time.

After this point, this girl started ignoring G because she felt G was too overbearing in her life. I continued acting normally, but I felt bad for G and it didn't seem fair to ignore her. But on a couple of occasions, this girl would not tell me when she and this guy were hanging out, or if they were having lunch together. I felt totally out of the loop because we were all friends, and she claimed that because she and this guy were close, she didn't want G getting involved, and when I was left out I felt she was doing the same thing.

But anyway, I encouraged this girl to continue talking with G, but she would get jealous of G when ever she and this guy would talk to one another. She would confide in me because she thought G was annoying.

After awhile she remembered this guys' birthday approaching, and she decided she wanted to buy him something. She would also buy him reeses peanut butter cups once in awhile too at a vending machine. She also asked me what I was going to get him. I was surprised and placed on the spot. Like why should I do anything? So I said I was thinking about getting him a keychain with the dog breed he has. She explained to me she was going to buy a gag gift, and buy him 'underwear' with scoobydoo on it. I suggested she get him boxers with green smilies on it because his favorite color is green. She told me she wanted me to go shopping with her. The funny thing is, my birthday is 4 days apart from his, and she decided to skip out on G's birthday party because she didn't want to have to deal with G's other friends.

I decided to help her because I was still under the impression that these two had something for each other. But it still bugged me because all this gift giving felt selfish. While we were at the store, she went a little overboard because we couldn't find the right pair. I said I wanted to help her with this 'party' because I was trying to be nice. We were at Target, and she asked me if I wanted to help at the register, but she bought $50+ worth of stuff--like t-shirts and junk. I was making suggestions, but I didn't mean we should get everything. Then it sort of turned into a surprise party (her brother is pretty wealthy like multi-millionaire, so money wasn't an option in her mind). Anyway, I ended up not helping her, even though I had wanted to in the beginning because I had already gotten the keychain. We were going to do a joint gift of just the boxers and keychain, but I decided to just let her have the credit for everything because it was too much for me to handle at the current moment. The party went well I guess, but she did not want to invite G.

After this point she wanted to throw a birthday party for herself, and she made a list of items for people to get her. Some of these items ranged $50, some $25. I decided to just get a keychain, similar to the one I got for this guy. I was so tired and exhausted with all the gifts. Furthermore, she invited G, and many people in her dorm she doesn't like. Plus she was deciding to transfer out of state.

At this point I decided to hang out with other people because the pressure of this wore me out. I needed some time away from them so I could get over my feelings. I told her one day I was feeling out of sorts with the group, and she got upset with me.

I got annoyed and decided to talk with this guy because I was annoyed with her and him both. Him because he kept staring at me inappropriately. Her for doing all this gifting, and it almost felt like she expected it. As quiet as I am, I never felt respected. So I told him I was trying to help her do this, but it got out of hand. This is when I found out he didn't actually like her.

Anyway, somehow me and this guy became friends, but then everyone felt I was just using her for money or something. It got worse because I told him i felt uninvited going to his house, the day he allowed her to come over, so he invited me to one of his memorial day parties. It got canceled, and he ended up getting into an argument with his parents about it. So I told him we could have lunch instead. While I was there, he and I had a conversation about 'sex' because someone told him I felt he just wanted to have sex with me, which is true. And he said to me 'I just want to make you feel good'. That annoyed me because there are other ways in the beginning of a relationship to make someone feel good.

And he then disrespected me more by not offering to pay because some people were trying to convince me that he liked me. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because I did not know him well. He did not offer to pay, and he didn't even think about doing so even after keychain and the CD. So instead of paying for him, I gave him my half, and basically made him pay for the tip. I was annoyed already by the paying issue, and yet I was blamed for not paying for him. I was blamed for getting a ride home from him as my mom and I share a car. I was blamed for a lot of things by his mother, like I was inadequate because I can't just pay for him, or that I was controlling his money or something.

It angered me more because he eventually told me his loans were deferred and they have financial problems. I don't have deferred loans, nor do I have any financial problems, but I was accused of making people feel sorry for me because I have a chronic illness, and I get rather nervous while meeting new people. The blamed me for being felt left out, and just wanting friends.

But they all joke about his addiction like there isn't a problem. He tells me that he and his brother are a bad influence on their parents because they go out and have a few drinks now. But he is worse because sometimes I catch him forgetting conversations, or not remembering a certain action he did. And yet I was blamed for all this, and it is just driving me crazy because I feel like he cut off our friendship for the most ridiculous reasons. He never did one nice thing for me, and he claims he was good to me until I did all these things.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess I can't say he never did anything nice for me. He did check up on me when my dog passed away. I just wonder if maybe I took his stares to be too offensive. He barely knew me and treated me like a woman he would find at a club or in a bar.

The thing is, he says he does not want to be friends, but has not unfriended me on facebook. He told me to keep assuming sh***t about his alcohol and stares. It bothered me because he felt I was not being supportive in any of the goals he was making for himself, but he wanted me to be a part of his business.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hon, this guy is unstable. He disrespects you and treated you like trash. Let this one go. He's not good for you or anyone else. You deserve better.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

this is someone you barely know....and there is already so much drama. that does not bode well for anyone. please don't hang on the fact that he has yet to unfriend you on FB. he said he wasn't interested in continuing....that's all you need to know.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Quirky, I'd say he's been showing you who he really is all along. Get a new set of friends, unfriend him on Facebook, and RUN. He's bad news and he's not making it secret.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I guess you're all right. It's kind of difficult for me to comprehend because I was uncertain about the situation. He had never touched me inappropriately. Just stared and had explicit thoughts. He did stop treating me like this, as if he tried to understand. For some reason I was trying to convince myself that he wasn't an alcoholic. The thing is, I don't think he is a bad person. I think he just has a problem and no one will confrnot him about it. He told me he didn't see me as a friends with benefits kind of person, but felt that a friendship just doesn't work with us for some reason. Unless I was the only one who confronted him about it. He kind of said that I had poked fun at his interests, and did not understand him at all. This is why I was concerned that I had the wrong impression of him. Many times he tried convincing me we would be good together, but he never staTed we should date. I thought maybe it was because he was shy. And i know for a fact he is. I kept trying to convince myself that he just did it for an indulgence. But I never felt really happy. It just seems like all he cares about is himself.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You certainly are investing alot of time thinking about someone who is unavailable.

Best I have to offer, you cannot try a rationalize the actions and words of an alcoholic, you will drive yourself batty........ you see, alcoholism = zero normal thought process.
Their words are meaningless, and there is a high probability they will never even remember the conversation.

Go find someone who can truly be in a healthy, stable relationship. Keep touching the fire, you will get burned EVERY time.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quirkybear47 View Post
Anyway, this girl liked having parties. She decided to have a small Christmas party on our college campus, and wanted us to buy presents...

After this point she wanted to throw a birthday party for herself, and she made a list of items for people to get her. Some of these items ranged $50, some $25. I decided to just get a keychain, similar to the one I got for this guy.
What? She threw a birthday party for herself and made a list of items for people to buy her? WHAT?? This is fairly weird behavior, I think.

QB, this whole circle of people seems pretty dysfunctional to me, not just the guy who you originally asked about. Is this representative of the relationships in your life? If so, it seems that getting some kind of counselling or other help might be useful for you. You certainly deserve better than what you've described here.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not everyone in my life is like this. I have other friends, but when someone tells me I wronged someone i blame it on myself. I am usually a selfless person, and I am willing to help anyone I can. I met this girl in history class. I didn't think she would do anything like this. I never imagined it because she was always a fun loving person until all this happened and it stressed me out. Now I feel like I did something wrong for feeling the way I do. The thing is, I was a commuter. I didn't know many people on campass, so I met these two friends through her.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are spending a whole lot of energy trying to figure out a guy and a situation that you will never be able to figure out. Alcoholics and their disease are cunning and baffling. That mental energy could be used to focus on much healthier things. Like I said earlier, bottom line....he did you a huge favor. You don't need to wait for him to unfriend you on FB. Unfriend him, and move on. The whole FB thing can be harmful anyhow, you don't need to see posts from someone you need to move on from. Take care of you and clean this stuff up.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok, thank you all from your help. I am doing the best I can right now. Getting blamed for things is just not my cup of tea. Maybe I do need to go for some counseling. I'll consider it.