Courage To Change 08/21/14

Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 08/21/14

Some Al-Anon suggestions, such as getting a Sponsor, were easy for me because I’m good at following specific instructions. But I didn’t know what to do with the slogan, “Live and Let Live.” Al-Anon helped me to let live by teaching me about detachment and helping me to see that many of my problems stemmed from minding everyone’s business but my own. But how do you turn your eyes on yourself and “live” for the first time in your life? When I put this question to my Sponsor, she asked me one in turn—what had I done earlier that day? Although I’d had a very busy day, I could barely remember what I had been doing. My Sponsor suggested that I begin learning how to live by becoming more aware of my life as I was already living it. Then I would be better able to make choices about how I would like to live. Searching for the real me, living according to my needs, and loving myself as a new-found friend have been the most rewarding benefits of the Al-Anon program. Strangely, they’re the last ones I would have imagined receiving when I began.

Today’s Reminder
Today I can choose to take responsibility for my own life. If I stay out of others’ affairs and become more aware of my own, I have a good chance of finding some serenity.
“Each man’s life represents a road toward himself.”
Hermann Hesse
Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
My Sponsor suggested that I begin learning how to live by becoming more aware of my life as I was already living it. Then I would be better able to make choices about how I would like to live.
This is exactly what I needed to hear today. I just spent a week in Canada w/my brother and his GF. I have not been away that long since shortly before I met RAH, so like more than 18 years. I've been kind of emotional these past few days, not really knowing why, and after reading this, I think it's at least partly due to coming home and looking at my job, at RAH, and at what I'm doing w/the time I've been given on this earth and wondering WTF, is this really what I want? Is this really what I'm supposed to be doing?

Thanks, Carlotta.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Big giant ((HUGS)) to you, Honeypig.

Thanks, Carlotta. I needed this one today, too.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
This is exactly what I needed to hear today. I just spent a week in Canada w/my brother and his GF. I have not been away that long since shortly before I met RAH, so like more than 18 years. I've been kind of emotional these past few days, not really knowing why, and after reading this, I think it's at least partly due to coming home and looking at my job, at RAH, and at what I'm doing w/the time I've been given on this earth and wondering WTF, is this really what I want? Is this really what I'm supposed to be doing?

Thanks, Carlotta.
I hear you, girl. xoxox
Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
Big giant ((HUGS)) to you, Honeypig.

Thanks, Carlotta. I needed this one today, too.
Yeah, me too! I read it earlier this AM but it really resonated this afternoon even more so because today was really weighing me down.