Courage To Change 08/20/14

Old 08-20-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 08/20/14

A billboard in my town reads, “Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink. Some come to gargle.” My pre-Al-Anon self would have chuckled at this message, but I would have felt some anxiety about whether I was a drinker or a gargler. Life was either black or white, and in order to feel comfortable, I had to know which extreme applied. But whichever label I pinned on myself would leave me feeling wrong, so I would scramble to fix myself. Now, thanks to Al-Anon, I accept more easily the thought that sometimes I drink, sometimes I gargle, and sometimes I stub my toe on the fountain as I stumble by. I don’t have to do better or differently. The best that I can do is good enough. I can relax and enjoy the joke.

Today’s Reminder
Al-Anon encourages me to examine my thoughts and actions, but this is meant as an act of self-love, not as a weapon to use against myself.
When I begin to accept myself exactly as I am, life will feel a lot more gentle.

“Sometimes we try so hard that we fail to see that the light we are seeking is within us.”
As We Understood . . .