Courage To Change 08/19/14

Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 08/19/14

There was a piece of reality that I never wanted to see: I loved someone who couldn’t be trusted. Again and again I suffered the disappointment of broken promises, contradictions, and outright lies. Each time, I felt crushed, betrayed, outraged. Nevertheless, hours or sometimes days later, I put the incident out of my mind. When the next promise was made, I trusted without hesitation and with my whole heart. I continue to find it hard to accept that I can’t trust the promises of someone I love. Yet I see that most of my heartache has come from my own refusal to accept reality. Al-Anon helps me to trust my experiences more than the inconsistent words of others. I’m learning not to depend on someone who has been consistently untrustworthy, but at the same time realizing that that is no excuse to give up on the whole human race. Facing reality means accepting that many of my experiences in Al-Anon demonstrate that there are people upon whom I can rely.

Today’s Reminder
Today I make a commitment to be honest with myself. By facing reality, I become someone I can depend upon.
“Awareness is so much better for me than closing out all feelings, shutting out people, withdrawing from living. No matter how hard the truth is or what the facts are, I prefer to know, look at, and accept this day.”
As We Understood . . .
Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting these... I was busy w/ the pity party & forgot to pick up the book this morning. Amazing how helpful and pertinent the books are..