Ex's mental health

Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ex's mental health

I’m so worn out worrying about ex's effect on our kids. My XAH and I split when our kids were 17 and 14. After a lot of therapy the older one is doing pretty well. Hella angry still, but coping. The younger one, still at home, is in treatment for depression. Their father has had nothing much to do with them since he left (and the last 10 years before that, as he was actively drinking). As XAH tried to work a recovery this past year (white knuckle, not 12 step) he attempted to renew his relationship with them, and in some ways did pretty well stepping up, until early summer when he went homeless. (His high paying job, and now any job, long gone.) We have seen little of him as he’s been out of the area, but he came around this weekend.

It’s so stressful on everybody now to see him. He looks terrible (although he says he is sober), and his mental health seems to be deteriorating. He goes into rants about going off the grid and the evils of a society that he hopes never to rejoin. He says he bought a gun for protection.

I used to think that any level of relationship with their father, if sober, would help the children, particularly my younger son. But his situation is so unsettling that no one wants to see him. Anytime he shows up it upsets our hard-won equilibrium. He’s living in his car with a gun.

As of today I’ve asked him not to come by anymore. He said okay, although he said he doesn’t understand why. He doesn’t have much history of respecting boundaries. I hope I’m not going to end up having the call the cops, but I’m preparing myself to do that if he shows up. I thought of going to the station today with his plate number but decided not to do that, yet. He's made no threats and has no history of violence.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. Yes, definitely sounds like alcoholic delusion or maybe even drugs.

I'm so sorry you are living in this type of fear.

I hope he doesn't have a key. Maybe you should call the police for an information phone call. I've found them to be really helpful in giving me ideas of how to deal with unstable people. Your kids need to be equipped with strategies on how to deal with him should he approach them in any way when you are not present.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Key? hell no. We're divorced. I took the keys back when we separated in 2011. We go months without seeing him. He's homeless somewhat by choice, I think. His brother in a nearby state offered him a roof, although I doubt my former SIL is too thrilled about that prospect, they have several children. He seems to be on some kind of quest, I just want him to leave us out of it.

I have thought of going to the cops, they were helpful in the past when I had a scary neighbor. If I get a whiff of him coming around or an unpleasant message, I definitely will. So far he has really done nothing and made no threat. He's just clearly not all there anymore mentally.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Deteriorating mental health and access to a gun = reason to pursue a restraining order. Seriously. I would.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^ A judge will issue a restraining order in the absence of a threat? What are the minimm criteria? I can see it would be useful to have this on file, but all I have right now is my general unease.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Santa,

I work for the Court do Protective Orders & the requirements vary state to state. I know Virginia's, and can explain if you want. Let me know. Stay safe
Old 08-17-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay safe, he sounds very unstable.