why is alcoholic brain different than drunk brain?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
The only thing that is real to them is themselves.
Oooooooooh, I like that little quote. It sums up so much so succinctly. Thanks Mike.

I've always felt that my STBXAH's inability to acknowledge the issues he caused came from a deep, visceral understanding that if he acknowledged what he did he would be expected to do something about it, i.e. stop drinking.

Pretty simple stuff. If one just ignores the problem, then the problem magically disappears.

I tried, for years, to employ this kind of magic myself to make my husbands issues go away. It didn't work. My powers to ignore weren't as strong as his. Of course, I wasn't drinking the same magic potion he was.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Woodman, I feel your pain. Thankfully it's in dealing with my sister and not someone I'm tied to legally. My sister the narc also has alcoholism. In fact, she was in ICU last Christmas having seizures because of it. After her release she supposedly joined a rehab group. I don't know if it's AA or what, but a couple of months ago while texting (we rarely see/talk to each other and have never been close) she was saying how she hadn't had a drop for X months blah blah. I congratulated her and asked if she was working a program and she responded with "yes, it's called the don't drink program". Then a couple more NPD things happened with her and I finally made the decision go from LC to NC. It feels like a gigantic Albatross was cut loose and freed for me!! Your IL's feel the weight of that big bird around their necks right now and are trying to hand it back to you. Stay strong and focused on YOU.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Woodman, you (or others) may get some insight from Paul Henry. Recovering A, working hard on the Program and WHY it works.

Assessing the “Alcoholic Personality”? | Inside the alcoholic brain

Looking at doing some PhDiddlely type stuff with this guy.
Really interesting blog post, Hammer. Thanks for the share. I'm going to go back and re-read that one a few times. And dig deeper into his blog...