Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I have found being grateful to be the best thing in which to
combat unhappiness

for me it works every time
sometimes slowly
but, it works

getting out of ones self

MM
Yes! This works. Anything that helps to get out of one's self.

Very wise MMB.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

sad I have a great area here at work it has a pond and geese and sandhill cranes and deer and a med size cat... I talk to all of them and listen to Mother Earth.. for when a Mothers Heart weeps the most it is the Earth that hears her first... my Daughter leaves the states at 3:00pm today.. lands in England Friday at 9:00am... my breath follows her every foot fall.. love ardy....
Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Man, this is a great post. At a little over 60 days sober, I am trying to develop sober tools to get outta dat funk when it hits. Just learning this......

Great post, thanks!!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I do mixed media and paint. I make love rocks with my daughter. I know it seems so odd to those around me.... they look at me like WHAT? It is such a simple craft, but, it does my heart feel good that it is going to make someone else smile and not knowing what is going on in their life, it could be something that helps them. I like to bake and cook. When I bake, I do it in a big way, so, we will wrap things up and take it to neighbors and people at work, etc. If I kept it here, I would drown my sorrow in food and I did that for too long and it too much time to become a weight I am pleased with.... I also count my blessings.... on good days and bad days... I always no I am blessed with my babies... and they have never gone to dinner hungry. To me that is such a blessing.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For me, exercise helps me to feel better, even just a short walk around the block in my nieghborhood will lift my mood.

Also reading inspirational quotes. I get them delivered daily to my facebook. It helps put thing in perspective.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What do I do when unhappy? Well, by default, I tend to over-analyze it... But this is no good approach.

The good approaches for me tend to be simple: get out of the house, for a walk, a run, explore new (for me) areas of the city, visit a museum or see a movie or a concert, get new books on my reading list and actually start reading them, try to finish(!) projects, connect with nature (plants, animals, anything, I am a biologist and love nature), eat a nice meal, hook up with friends / family, post on SR, talk with my therapist/psychiatrist. These are some of the things I've been trying to do in the recent ~6-7 months.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
learning to live

After I read this post yesterday I wrote in my diary what I do when I get in the dumps but didn't here:
I.....
go to the gym
go for a walk
go for a drive
call a supportive friend
read quotes online
add to my inspirational journal I am making
take a bubble bath
come on SR and post
Above all as Mountainman said I try to get the heck out of myself!
All of the above soothe the pain...

Drinking as I used to choose only EXCALATED the pain! That's so true as the original poster said!!!!

I am my problem but I am also my solution

Oh And I always remember something I learned here from Anna or Dee....The difference between a good day and a bad day is about a day....Truth!

Congrats Flynbuy...60 days is awesome! Each day you will learn something new I hope I helped with some suggestions
Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks I like this. Im sorry for you pain, but so happy you didnt drink your way through it yesterday.

Ive been finding a lot of comfort in the outdoors recently. Walking on the beach or sitting and watching the waves. Or just being out in our yard. Sometimes late at night I will go out on the deck and just look up at all the stars and I know my life is just one of many and my problems are not all that grand in the scheme of things. I like to look up at the leaves blowing on the trees also, or play with my dog. It helps put life in perspective.

I have also been known to eat my fair share of gelato, and a few shopping sprees have been thrown in here and there.

(((Readerbaby)))
Old 08-24-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm surprised that meditating isn't a thing that people do when they're unhappy. Do people meditate when they feel sad? Is that a bad idea?

I'm thinking sit-ups and crying sound good to me right now but meditating sounds easier. Maybe a guided Deepak meditation is what I need but those always make me fall asleep and I have stuff I need to do but I need to stop feeling so anxious first.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I do it when I'm sad or anxious quite often. It helps.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Meditating helps me too, I just tend to forget to use it. (**mentally adds to buzzword checklist, if it's not already there**)

I also realllllly like hypnosis apps because hypnosis as a tool works WELL for me. My friend/hypnotist said that I work well enough with it that I can USE it as a tool, but.... I'm not really as passionate as he is about it (lol). Once I found an app for it, it made it easier.

What I like best with those is that ~for me~ I still get that meditative relaxed, refreshed feel afterward BUT I listen to it in bed, always fall asleep in the first 5-10 mins , sleep solidly & I can choose which "messages" I want to focus on.

Good reminder, thank you guys!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Lovely thread xx