Getting better at this...

Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting better at this...

I really need to learn to trust my gut more. Came home tonight with the kids and my AH was very obviously drunk! I could smell the vodka as soon as we walked through the door!

It was late and I scurried to get the kids to bed in hopes that he would sit and pass out while I got them ready. Unfortunately my son was laying on the couch while I was tending to things and my AH fell on him! I had been good about holding it together until that point. I yelled @ AH and said "what the H*** is the matter with you!" Luckily my son was not hurt bad. More upset that AH fell on him than anything else.

A few minutes later AH yells @ me to get the **** out of his way while he is sitting on the couch and I am standing across the room. I told him that if he dared to touch me I was calling the cops! He has never swore at me like that, it was scary. I picked up the phone and called his mom. Felt I needed to let someone know close by what was happening tonight, particularly if the kids & I leave in a hurry and head for her house. I know it was upsetting to her, but we are close (she had watched the kids tonight so I could have fun with friends and he could go to AA.) It felt good to have someone on the phone until he finally passed out.

Hid the keys to his car and mine as he is supposed to be up in 6 hrs for a golf tournament. He is in no shape to drive. I checked his car and it reeked of vodka. One set of keys I can't find to his car, so there is a chance that he could leave in the am regardless. I hope to hear him wake up so I can talk him out of driving, but I told my MIL that if he chooses to do so, I have done what I can @ this point to stop him. I dumped the vodka that I found in the car and house (again in water bottles.) Felt I needed to do that so that if he wakes and drives, he can't drink again in the am. Pretty sure he will have a rough hang over if he isn't still drunk when he wakes. He was crying @ one point before he passed out but wouldn't say a word to me. I'm sure he is upset with himself for falling on DS.

No idea what tomorrow holds. supposed to have a garage sale here starting in 7 hrs with the neighbors and my DD is so excited to sell lemonade and cookies. If AH stays, he'll be in a rotten mood and locked up in his bedroom or taking it out on the kids and I. If he drives off then I worry about him having an accident. Maybe he'll call someone to get him instead or walk somewhere (although the closest town is 5 miles away.)

Prayers that I can get through the night and day tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry you are dealing with this tonight. All I can offer you is hugs and prayers. You sound really strong right now. Hang in there and keep the focus on you and your kiddos.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. Be strong and be kind to yourself.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AmyA, I've seen other folks post here that they would call the cops if their A pulled out of the driveway drunk.

I hope you find a way to make some changes to keep yourself and the kids safe soon.

Best wishes for your rummage sale, etc. today.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are going through this. Your situation sounds so similar to mine right down to the vodka in water bottles, swearing and crying before passing out. I react just like you: hiding keys, dumping out the bottles, calling someone when he scares me. I have called and let the police know the situation. Basically that he drinks heavily and I can't always get the keys from him. Police know his license plate number.

I'm glad you and the kids can go to your MIL to escape the insanity. Going to al anon meetings has helped me. I found some meetings with other moms of young kids.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He got up this am and helped set up for the sale. Spoke little. Said he would be back later to pack a bag and won't be staying here tonight. Said goodbye and went off to his golf tournament.

Came home and told me sorry and thank you. I asked what he was thanking me for and he told me for dumping the vodka I found in his golf bag.

Blaming his drinking on resentment of 2 particular people that his therapist, sponsor and I all told him that he needed to talk to last week.

He does not remember a thing after drinking on his way home from the AA meeting last night. He said that he wants to stay here and I told him that is fine as long as he is not drinking. He didn't want to know what he did last night, but deep down he does or knows it was bad since I did not sleep in bed with him last night. Not sure if that has ever happened before unless I fall asleep with one of the kids. ( I couldn't stand the smell, snoring and hogging the bed.)

He's leaving again this afternoon for his 2nd round so not sure how the rest of the day will go. Staying strong, even though I am exhausted from not sleeping last night. It helps when we have customers at the rummage sale
Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I should include that he wants to stay here tonight because he doesn't want to be alone and not sure whom else he can stay with. I agree that a hotel could be a bad choice with him sinking into depression/giving in to getting more to drink.