100 Happy Days - anyone tried it?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Grateful for lawyers. My ex filed for joint custody and is trying to intimidate me, hoping I'll roll over and play dead. So I hired a lawyer in PA (his home state, where the filing is).
Grateful for my kids. I will protect them.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Oh man, ladyscribbler -- I got a very ominous, 'dun-dun-DUHHHH!' feeling for your X when I read your post...does he have ANY idea the bear he has just poked???
Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Oh man, ladyscribbler -- I got a very ominous, 'dun-dun-DUHHHH!' feeling for your X when I read your post...does he have ANY idea the bear he has just poked???
Thankfully no. I've been ever so meek and mild since we split, even sent him a letter with my ninth step amends a few months ago, apologizing for enabling him and trying to change him.
On the bright side, the ex was required to submit a copy of his police record when he filed, which is a mile long with alcohol related offenses. I've never been arrested and haven't had so much as a speeding ticket in over a decade.
I'll push for visitation supervised by his parents, which is what we've been doing anyway. I just want my son to be safe.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Day #100!!!!

My real Happy Moments yesterday were being happy that our water was fixed with minimal issues and that I don't seem to be getting whatever cold/bug is stuffing DD up this week.

But overall I can't deny that my BIGGEST happy/grateful moment is from taking part in all this to begin with. It really DID help to change my mindset to start looking at the positives in life & within my normal day. It was also great to get into the practice of "positive hindsight" .....reflecting back over a couple of days (whenever I would fall behind on my documentation here) & view those days with a focus on looking for the good in them.

LS - He really doesn't know what he's asking for :uzi2:. You & your boys are in my thoughts & prayers!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Day 96
Grateful DS5 is flourishing. Had his school conference today and he's doing really well.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

97- Grateful for some fun time with DS5. No school so we snuggled and played Lego Indiana Jones.
98- Grateful for a good Alanon meeting. Always puts things in perspective. Plus one lady had some lovely pix of her newborn granddaughter from a recent visit. Adorable.
99- Grateful for extra hours at work. Gotta "make it rain" tomorrow at the lawyer's office.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Participating in this exercise showed me another thing about myself in terms of positive vs. negative behaviors...... the majority of my negativity happens during my driving time, lol.

We have some insane traffic issues with our seasonal surges in population (among other things).... I also commute 20 miles to work one-way, dropping DD at school at about the halfway point.

So...... even though I recognize that the knee-jerk reaction to scream at others when they make unsafe & horrifying driving decisions that impact everyone else on the road is largely due to my fear at that moment.... it doesn't mean I have to toss a bunch of obscenities into the universe.

So I'm trying 100 Happy Driving Days & trying to rephrase those reactionary profanities into more positive energy.... like referring to some IDIOT MORON as a BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLY or a HAPPY RAINBOW!

DD & I have been cracking up at the silly stuff that has been coming out of my mouth instead, It's funny how it's such a struggle verbally to change that in those fast moments during traffic.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

When I was growing up the only place we were allowed to swear was in the car because it was the only place my mom usually cursed.
She came up with some truly inspired profanity in the car.
You tell those mother cluckers to get the stuff out of your way!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Grateful for lawyers.
Holy crap, I missed that. LOL, now THERE'S something you don't hear every day. At least THIS lawyer doesn't.

The profession thanks you. The ABA will be presenting you with an award at their next meeting.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for the opportunity to give. I read this really awesome article the other day about how donating actually creates happier people so I've decided to make weekly set donations to a different charity each Sunday. This week I donated to Loaves and Fishes. I'm happy that it's so super easy to help others and it reminds me how grateful that I am that I'm not in a position of great need.

"We make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill
Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

So I'm trying 100 Happy Driving Days & trying to rephrase those reactionary profanities into more positive energy.... like referring to some IDIOT MORON as a BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLY or a HAPPY RAINBOW!
This cracks me up! I'm not a road rage person (although I do have a lead foot) and a couple of weeks ago I was flipped off by some guy that cut me off. All I could think was "really? This split second interaction got you that riled up?"
Old 11-24-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
This cracks me up! I'm not a road rage person (although I do have a lead foot) and a couple of weeks ago I was flipped off by some guy that cut me off. All I could think was "really? This split second interaction got you that riled up?"
I wish it was silly simple stuff like that! This kinda stuff I could handle all day long!

I'm talking about seniors that *maybe* shouldn't be driving at all (I have a few clients who's DL's I wish I could revoke) driving dangerously slow during rush hour 3-lane traffic combined with young, fearless motorcycle drivers creating a 4th lane by driving in between cars at about 20-30 mph during stops at lights. One arm out a window or a sudden move by anyone & there are going to be serious injuries. And don't forget the impatient rednecks in their monster trucks.

When it rains just a little bit it's my worst nightmare.... our roads get slick like ice from the oil rising out of the concrete & since everyone seems to think that leaving room between you & the car in front of you is just wasted space that must be filled.... before you know it, bam! During our rainy season I probably see 3-4 accidents each week with 4+ vehicles involved. A few months ago there was an accident on the bridge where a motorcycle ended up in the backseat of one of the cars involved.... but you could hardly differentiate the 2 when you looked at the wreck. Really, really awful.

But I'm getting better already..... can't wait 'til Black Friday!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Day 100
Grateful that PA courts have no jurisdiction in IA so my lawyer is just going to get my ex's whole petition dismissed.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

What an AWESOME Day #100!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

It's weird all the good stuff that can happen in such a seemingly short time. The new car, finishing a novel and now the custody thing. Three big milestones within 100 days, plus all the small, day to day gratitude that keeps you going throughout.
So glad I participated in this process. Thanks FS for such a wonderful experience.