Back at it

Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at it

So AH is relapsing. The kids and I moved back and we are in the process of selling our home. Lots going on but an upcoming work trip has thrown AH for a loop. Its the first time he will have to travel in 2 years, its on the other side of the world and its for a fairly long period of time. I'm looking forward to the peace and hoping he gets his head straight. Normally I would be off the charts with anxiety but I'm going to more meetings, picking up the phone, reading.

But I have to admit I do hide his car keys when he passes out. I don't think I could live with myself if he hurt someone and I knew he was driving drunk. I go back and forth with this. Am I sheltering him from possible consequences?

Overall I see him during this relapse and I think nope not what I want in life. I don't regret coming back down here (not right now anyway). I think I needed to come back and see that my what ifs and fantasies are not real. I'm getting house things in order then I'll worry about a job. One day at a time. I have a tendency to ruminate on the worst case scenario and convince myself it is happening.

I think I'm finally starting to feel some compassion for AH. I have been so angry for so long. I kind of got a little stuck in my anger.

This is just a rambling mess of a post. Living with alcoholism can be such a lonely life. It helps to have SR.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for stashing the keys when he drinks to passing out.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Codejob. It's never a bad thing, you might just be saving an innocent life.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took them away again tonight and I'm not giving them back tomorrow even if it comes down to calling the cops. He went for a haircut today, stopped off for booze and probably drank it in the car. I came home to find him sitting behind the wheel of his car in our driveway. He fell over while walking to the house. I don't know if he drank in our driveway or drank somewhere else and drove. But either way sitting in the car with keys and being drunk can get you arrested. I have given his license plate number to the cops before.