SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Today is My Fifth Wedding Anniversary (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/340673-today-my-fifth-wedding-anniversary.html)

Wisconsin 08-01-2014 10:21 AM

Today is My Fifth Wedding Anniversary

My AH and I have never had a truly "happy" anniversary; he relapsed during our first year of marriage. Last year, he had recently left to work out of state (as I was trying to put myself back together and focus on myself after several months of awful emotional abuse). I was a complete and total basket case last year on this day. This year, he is home. He returned to work locally in early July. He is working 6-7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, so we don't see much of him. That is good, as he is still drinking.

However...

This year I am in SUCH a better place with myself. Tonight my dad and my brother (haven't seen my brother in almost 2 years) are in town. We will be having dinner together, and then they will be taking my younger daughter on a fishing trip on Lake Michigan tomorrow. I am able to sit here and be a little sad at the state of my marriage, but be deeply, deeply grateful for my wonderful job and my happy, healthy kids. And I am so excited to see my brother! I have no idea if my AH will be joining us for dinner, and unlike a year ago, I won't waste any time today fretting over whether he will or he won't. I am putting my energy into doing my job well, and into getting ready for a fun night with my brother and dad. I'm sure my little guy will be a handful and my older daughter will be glued to her phone all night, but it will be nice family time.

Hope everybody has a wonderful weekend! Sending extra hugs and positive thoughts to everyone who is going through a particularly tough time right now.

HopefulinFLA 08-01-2014 10:33 AM

Sounds like you're doing well! Glad to hear it.

Enjoy your family.

hopeful4 08-01-2014 10:36 AM

Wisconsin, have a wonderful time with your family! I too am glad to hear you sounding like you are in a good place!

chicory 08-01-2014 10:44 AM

Wisconsin, glad today is full of fun and happy things. Someday the sad things will be vague memories.

glad your children are happy and you are having a good day today!

LBrain 08-01-2014 10:44 AM

muchas felicidades

lillamy 08-01-2014 11:50 AM

Good to hear from you again, Wisconsin -- you sound really, really good!!!! :)

Stung 08-01-2014 12:36 PM

I hope you have a great time with your family!

Dontreallycare 08-01-2014 02:55 PM

Congratulations from someone else who's five year anniversary is today too! :-D

lizatola 08-01-2014 04:13 PM

Sounds like you'll be having a great time, no matter what! Thanks for sharing the positive, I needed it today! HUGS!!!

CodeJob 08-01-2014 07:48 PM

Have fun! Dress warm! Cool summer!