Getting outside of ourselves - what do you do for others?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wendy,

Love the story behind the Love Rocks. Thank you for sharing this!

1. I run in a variety of runs.
2. I give blood.
3. I donate to United Way.
4. I am signed up to donate via Scrip and other entities to a few schools.
5. Volunteer at Library Book Fair
6. Collect food for USPS and Scouting for Food
7. April Showers personal care items for the Girl Scouts
8. Collect donation items for animal shelter like blankets/towels/rugs etc.

Here are some things I have done:
1. Pick up trash on my walk route
2. Plan and manage class parties - K-5
3. Volunteer at Book Fairs
4. Give books to teachers for their classroom library
5. Pay for someone's lunch in line
6. Give kids change for the horse or ride or gum ball machine
7. Buy someone's breakfast
8. Give away books
9. Leave books on the train or plane
10. Give away light up jewelery to kids and adults depending where I am
Old 07-30-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You all do some pretty d@mn great stuff. And by that yes, I also include things like SR & rearing young children. I also agree that yes, charity starts at home so that all has to be A-ok before offering support outside. There's also NOTHING wrong with being at a point in life where you need to focus on self-care & simply don't have the time & energy for more than that. I do enjoy doing for others when it's coming from a place of love & simply wanting to brighten someone's world. Not the same to me at all as Codie-stuff where we do for others who are capable of doing for themselves & choose not to.

I've really only been capable of small stuff & after talking to mom about her ability to do more at this point in her life, it got me thinking about all the stuff I can potentially do in the future.

I do adore the Love Rocks, especially because it's something DD can get involved in too. She came in while I was reading the blog & after reading over my shoulder she commented that this might be a good thing for her & grandma to do on their summer days together before school starts.

Thank you ALL for sharing!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I take Wounded Warriors on flyfishing adventures.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I can't donate blood at the moment as I have a massive tattoo fetish! But I am hoping to organise a charity event at my work and raise some money for local cat rescue shelters. I've also started cycling so I'm going to look into events and hopefully raise more money for charity too.
But as with others, my spare time used to be filled with drama and now I use it to aid my recovery. Sometimes I just sit and think about what I want to do with my life and sometimes I think about the past. I look at my old posts and read what. I've written and what I've been through. I'm proud of myself for getting through it all!
As for the ones who you say that you don't do anything - most (if not all) responded to my posts when I needed help, advice and support. You do a lot on here certainly, and I would've have gotten the strength to leave without your kind words!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Worried0810 View Post
Unfortunately I can't donate blood at the moment as I have a massive tattoo fetish!...
I usually donate a little blood to my artist...
<-------Both arms fully sleeved
Old 07-30-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am aiming at getting my back covered, but it'll take a while! Next tattoo is booked for March! Maybe I can gather funds by allowing people to watch my pain and donate that! :P
Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher View Post
I take Wounded Warriors on flyfishing adventures.
Thanks from a veteran. Things like that make a world of difference in people's lives. You have my gratitude.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My guy would love to get my back. Someday. Someday.
I've been at my arms for 10 years or so. Takes time. Takes even more money.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Thanks from a veteran. Things like that make a world of difference in people's lives. You have my gratitude.
Ummmm. I'm never sure how to respond to you folks when you thank me. You're always so thankful for what I may be doing and I always think it pales in comparison to what you've done for us.

The experience is humbling. I still remember 1 gentleman's reaction to me when I offered him a cold bottle of water.

I love doing it. It's one of those things I do in life that really resets my mind.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher View Post
Ummmm. I'm never sure how to respond to you folks when you thank me. You're always so thankful for what I may be doing and I always think it pales in comparison to what you've done for us.

The experience is humbling. I still remember 1 gentleman's reaction to me when I offered him a cold bottle of water.

I love doing it. It's one of those things I do in life that really resets my mind.
I feel the same when people thank me for my service. I just tell them it was my honor to serve. Maybe because I'm a plain, regular vet and I feel unworthy of that gratitude. Especially when I see the wounded warriors and think back on the ones I've known who made the ultimate sacrifice.
OT on the tattoo discussion, I only have two. "One in the front and one in the back."