Courage To Change 07/29/14

Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 07/29/14

Al-Anon is a spiritual program based on no particular religion, and no religious belief is required. To those of us who have had less than wonderful experiences with religion in the past, this freedom is important. Spirituality doesn’t have to imply a particular philosophy or moral code; it simply means that there is a Power greater than ourselves upon which we can come to rely. Whether we call this a Higher Power, God, good orderly direction, Allah, the universe, or another name, it is vital to our recovery that we come to believe in a Power greater than ourselves (Step Two). Until we do, the rest of the Steps will not make much sense. This Higher Power might be likened to the electricity that operates the lights and machinery of our recovery. It’s not necessary to understand what electricity actually is to enjoy its use—all we need to do is turn on the switch!

Today’s Reminder
I may be seeking a more loving God in whom I can place my trust, or facing a challenge that puts my long established beliefs to a test, or struggling with the very idea of a Higher Power. Whatever I believe, I can pray for greater faith today. Just that little act of willingness can work miracles.

“When I have at last realized that my problems are too big to solve by myself . . . I need not be alone with them if I am willing to accept help from a Higher Power.”
Al-Anon’s Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions