How does my dad kick my mom out of the house

Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How does my dad kick my mom out of the house

My mom has been consistently getting worse with her drinking the past 3 years. Its gotten to the point where her therapist tells me its time to make her leave. Her words were if she wants to drink shes going to drink. You can't allow her to do it at the house, Take her to a hotel and tell her she isn't allowed home until she is ready for help".

My question is how can we keep her out. I hear everyone talking about changing the locks, but she can call the cops bc the house is in both of their names.

Originally I wanted to try and get her committed against her will but I soon realized that it basically takes an act of god to make that happen.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

File divorce papers requesting that she leave the residence
Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but your therapist should have suggested one-for you.

Kicking someone out of her own home is not that easy, nor should it be. Some states have laws that make it hard for you your freeloading Uncle Danny once he has established residency in you home. It isn't just a matter of changing locks.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depending on her drinking, she may not have the capacity to realise her options, or follow through on them either, eg paying for a lawyer herself, contacting the police.

But if it does come down to exercising her rights, then a divorce and getting lawyers involved is going to be the way forward!!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Yep. A divorce or legal separation with very clear language on the living arrangements. And for you: Al-Anon.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What does your dad think of this? Sounds like a lot of stress in their relationship and for you as well living in that home environment.
Maybe you and your dad could attend an Alanon meeting together. It is very difficult to deal with an active alcoholic when you're caught in the midst of all the craziness. Alanon is a great place to develop skills to protect yourself by setting boundaries and not accepting unacceptable behavior.
Hope you and your dad are well today. Take care.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im so sorry. Your dad will have to file for sole legal use if the marrital home, or thats what its called here. Its good you see a therapist. Keep coming back your not alone.