Success Stories

Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Success Stories

While I go through this time of time of early recovery, I would love to read the success stories, as well as those who are going through difficult times.

A few days ago by chance, I came by an old post on this board that spoke of the happy times he was having with his RAW after going through some tough times. He pointed out that there aren't many of those happy endings posted because those persons don't feel the need to share any more. They are busy living their happy lives. I wish I would have copied that message as I can't find it again. I believe it was from December 2013.

I'd love to hear those stories if any of you have them, or can recall the post I'm referring to.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Woodeye.....the "success stories" that I have known of seem to come from those who have worked their own respective recovery programs simultaneously.

I realize that your wife is in early recovery...from the last time you were posting with us.

Relationships like marriage are very complex and both partners are in a "dance", together.

Just because one becomes sober doesn't mean that the couple fall back into each other's loving arms and live happily ever after.

That first year or two of early recovery can be a BEAR---almost always!!!

The part that most don't realize is that the partner has to work just as hard and make changes within themselves---just like the alcoholic has to do!

My qualifiers have not been a partner or spouse.....

dandylion
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your comments, dandylion. Believe me, I'm well aware of the hard work and times ahead for my wife and I. I'm beginning my step work as is she.

A quote from my favorite movie is "Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things". Stories of people who have worked hard and persevered give me that hope.

Again, thanks for the response.

Woodeye
Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto what Dandy said. Even if your wife got stayed sober and was never tempted or challenged by relapse in her sobriety (nearly impossible) she still needs to deal with the reasons that she was drinking to begin with.

Also keep in mind that success cannot be achieved in terms or sobriety. It is a disease. Asking someone how they succeeded in sobriety is like me asking you how you've won at life. It's just not a thing. Relapse is always an option that is a sip away.

A few weeks ago I met a man with 43 years of sobriety and he told me that he goes to a meeting every single day because he knows wants to die sober. For him, dying sober will be achieving success in sobriety.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I believe this might be the post you're looking for…

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-little.html
Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justwantnormal View Post
I believe this might be the post you're looking for…

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-little.html
Yes. That's the one. Thank you very much for finding it.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Woodeye---I agree that hope is a good thing....."Hope springs eternal".

If humans didn't have that ability to look to the future with hope and positive anticipation....I think we would have faded out l ong ago!!!!!!

The stories that you are looking for---AND, THEY DO EXIST.....are not likely to be that pleantyful on this particular forum..

Most people coming here are in crisis....just like for you, when you first came....
As they work through their crisis and stabilize out....they tend to move along....

You may have to look in a different place for the kind of stories that you want to hear.

It sounds like you may be looking for reassurance that your marriage is going to make it.....am I right?
I think that is a natural thing for you to wonder about

I wish I had the answer for you......

dandylion
Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Woodeye, I personally think this thread is a great one for success stories.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-stories.html

It will likely redefine what you think of as "success". Really inspirational.