Courage To Change 07/23/14

Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 07/23/14

A miraculous change has come about because of my commitment to the Al-Anon program: I have discovered that I have a sense of humor. When I came to these rooms, I never cracked a smile and resented anyone who did. I couldn’t understand all the laughter during meetings; I didn’t hear anything funny! Life was tragic and serious. Recently, I was sharing about a series of events that I had found extremely difficult. It had been one of those weeks in which everything seemed to go wrong. The odd part was that now that it was over, I found my traumatic tale incredibly funny, and so did most of the others at the meeting. More than any other change I have observed in myself, I find this the most glorious. It tells me that I see myself and my life in a more realistic way. I am no longer a victim, full of self-pity and bent on control of every aspect of my life. Today I can take myself and my circumstances more lightly. I can even allow joy and
laughter to be a part of a difficult experience.

Today’s Reminder
If I take a step back and look at this day as if I were watching a movie, I am sure to find at least a moment where I can enjoy some comic relief.
“You grow up the day you have the first real laugh— at yourself.”
Ethel Barrymore