A good update for once

Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A good update for once

Friday, I went to an amusement park with my friends and their son who has autism. We had a great day. Normally I would feel too old to go on rides, but between his parents and I, there are some rides only one is capable of doing. I can't take the roller coasters with "air time". His mother can, but she can't do the roller coasters like the Twister, I can. The father does the water rides. We all do the bumper cars. I never did this till last year, and I am really good at it now!!!!!!!!

So I spent the day with them and I missed a phone call from my son at 8:00pm. I checked my phone at 11:30pm, saw that he called, thought it was too late to call him back and that I would call the next day. I couldn't sleep, so I was getting ready to go to bed at 1am. My son called.

He apologized immediately. Said he didn't realize what time it was until he pressed the button to call me. I told him that's ok, I wasn't really tired yet, I was just thinking about going to bed because of the time.

He told me that his father in law had surgery that day. His fil has colon cancer. It's been removed but he has to wear a colostomy bag the rest of his life. He told me that he realized he hasn't spoken to my side of the family for awhile, and that he was sorry about that, when he couldn't get me at 8, he called my mother, talked to her, then called my sister, talked to her. Was going through his whole phone book to reach out to people. We talked about a lot of things that night. Just all good things, his job, his wedding, his friends, how he really enjoyed spending the night before his wedding with me. He invited me up to see him for a weekend.

He wants to take me to the Smithsonian to show me the genome project on display. He had something to do with that. He doesn't work there anymore (NIH), but he still wants me to see it. He told me that his wife's parents had nothing but good things to say about me, and that they wished they could have spent more time with me, so when I go out to visit him and his wife, I will also see her parents again. They seemed so nice at the wedding, and I am so happy for my son.

We talked some about his new job where he is actually working in bioinformatics, and his wife is working with infectious diseases, and I hate to say this, but she needs to "suit up" on her job.

So even though I got a phone call at 1am, it was the best 2 hour phone call that I've had in a long time.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy for you amy55. You are a blessing to so many here! Glad you had a great day!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So happy for you! I know you have missed that contact dearly. Things are looking up for you girl!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad to hear this. You deserve it.
Peace....
Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is just something i ever expected. 2 months ago I was uninvited to his wedding. Since his wedding I have spoken to him about 5 times.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome, Amy!

You've helped me so much. Things sound like they are going well with your son- I'm glad