Intervention reruns

Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention reruns

I used to watch the show Intervention all the time. I havent seen it since I found out my husband is an alcoholic. Its eye opening for me to watch it now.

I can clearly see the denial and enabling the families engage in. The thing that really stands out is the manipulation and blame shifting from the addict. It amazes me that I had no insight into my own situation but its so obvious when you watch it from the outside and have no emotional investment. So many times I can see how the addict/addiction has all the power. For a time everything in my life revolved around addiction.

I think thats why this website, counseling, and al anon are so helpful. They all helped tremendously to gain perspective. Hearing the stories of others who have been through it is very healing for me. Thanks to all of you who share your struggles. I don't post often but I still read when I can.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love watching that show. I have let my 2 boys (10 and 8) watch it so they know and remember never to do drugs. I was watching it from the first episodes.

I never knew that I would use what I learned watching that show over and over in my real life.

It's awful what we have to go through.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Catherine--you might have seen Kristina Wandzilak on the intervention shows--she is the very pretty blond woman who leads some of them. I recently read the book that she and her mother wrote together.....tells the story of her addiction and recovery...OMG!! Very jaw-dropping. It is the most moving and memorable account that I have read.

I think that you would enjoy and learn a lot from that book. If interested, you can get it. used, on Amazon.com.

dandylion
Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Catherine....I just realized that I forgot to give you the title of the book...LOL!!

It is "The Lost Years".

dandylion
Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dandylion,

I've read that book. Its great. I didn't realize she was on the show.