Does your alcoholic call other people alcoholics?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My alcoholic husband often will actually deny that someone else has a problem even when it is obvious that they do. If someone is just making a statement that so and so has a problem. He gets angry and acts as if someone is attacking his problem instead of speaking of someone else. He sees most statements about addiction as an attack on him personally.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Mine use to let his dog out the front door in a drunken state and shout...run free little one be a wolf. Then be totally mortified that the alcholics round the corner would pick her up and call him to say they had the dog and she was safe. I mean how could these people who were alcholics care for his dog!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dodge31 View Post
Mine use to let his dog out the front door in a drunken state and shout...run free little one be a wolf.
I just lol'd at this mental image.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The alcoholic partner of a friend of mine attended an AA meeting but refused to go back, saying that they were nothing but a bunch of drunks! (She forebore from saying "What do you think you are?")

My late father was an alcoholic; within the family there are varying degrees of denial, but one of my alcoholic brothers will shake his head and say "There were good reasons for Dad's drinking" - as there are for his own, of course.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My RAH does not diagnose others. He has told me it is their individual issue to determine. However, he clearly watches drinkers and those buying for signs of A that I pay no attention to.

He remains quite angry that I kicked him out last year. The last time we tried to talk through some issues he said, "Why didn't you talk to me?" I didn't even know how to respond so I was silent.

Last week I did not recognize my own neighbor in my driveway. Turns out she had asked my H for a ride to the corner store. She had been in an IOP and made it 40 days. He admitted to her his rehab and being kicked out. He gave her some reading materials after driving her up there too.

There really is some wisdom in letting the As tend to each other.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I guess alcoholics understand each other in a way that the rest of us can't. The same is true for Alanoners.