Insomnia

Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia

I am just wondering- does anyone (or has anyone) had some serious insomnia problems, and if so, what has worked to get rid of it?
I have had this problem for a long time, although it normally wasn't this serious as it is now. It has been 3 or 4 days this week of either not falling asleep until about 4 or 5 am (and having to wake up w/ kids at about 8 or 9am) or else getting woke up by my 2 yr old or 9 yr old and then not being able to get back to sleep. I don't drink caffiene at night and have cut down to about 2 cups a day. But there I am thinking thinking thinking (mostly negatively, worrying). I need some help here guys!
-SFG29
Old 07-14-2004, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Sunflower-

What helps me sleep is to do a little reading and then say my prayers before going to bed.I have a book of meditations that is particularly helpful beside my bed. It really helps me to know that no problem is too big for God and that He will take care of me if I let him.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sign of possible depression/anxiety

I suffered from insomnia for years until I finally couldn't take dragging myself into work looking half dead. I had a complete physical exam, and when nothing abnormal was discovered my doctor recommended a psychiatrist and a therapist to me. The psychiatrist put me on a drug called Klonopin. I only take 1 mg at bedtime and my problem has improved a great deal. Although Klonopin is a controlled substance (somewhat addictive) it's far less addictive than Valium or Xanax. I'm no advocating that anyone rush into taking prescription meds for insomnia, but I found taking my nightly pill, along with seeing a counselor twice a month, has been a great help for me.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Meditation and visualization have worked for me. It takes practice to learn to clear your mind, but if you want to stop the wheels from turning when you are ready to go to bed, it's worth a try. I had to try several types of meditation before I found one that was the most comfortable for me. There are plenty of websites available and books that you can buy or check out at the library. I have found that listening to tapes on visualization help me relax. Unless I am highly upset, this works. When that happens, I have taken an Ambien to help me, but I don't like to take medication to sleep. It always makes me feel horrible in the morning. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-14-2004, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
giz

I have had times where I can't get to sleep because I was worrying, thinking about how something went or would go. I went to a therapist about it. Here are some of the things we talked about:

Since you are so focused on a subject, focus that hard on nothing. Think of quiet, black, sleepy darkness. How good you feel when you are sleeping. How nice it is to rest. Empty, empty thoughts.

Get a pen and paper and write down all the ideas. Then, tomorrow, when you are rested, you can attack them with a fresh mind. I have to say this has really helped. People say, "You can't do anything about it now" but I have still worried. This eases (sp) my worry.

Hope that helps,
giz