I think I had quacking all wrong...

Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I had quacking all wrong...

I thought quacking was like.... well a duck out of water and quacking to have anyone hear them.....

I saw it in my xabf. Anyone he would see, in which he hadn't seen in a very long time... it started.... My exwife wasn't very nice to me. I secluded. I started drinking more... she had an affair (which there is no proof)... I felt so all alone, then I got a dui because I didn't eat before I was drinking, and she left me for her boyfriend. My dui gave her a good excuse to leave without anyone knowing about her boyfriend. He would talk about the story to anyone and everyone that would listen... still is.

I thought it was to divert the attention away from the underline problem. I think ex did not have an affair. I think she started self preservation on the roller coaster and set boundaries and the dui was it for her. She didn't want to keep leading a life where the booze was the most important thing in his life, so she left. He wanted to put the blame all on her to make everyone feel sorry for him and not notice his drinking patterns or problem.

Am I way off base or is this also a form of quacking?

Not me, not me, it is everyone else!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IMHO, quacking is a nice word for BS and it can occur on either side of a relationship.

"I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink beer." That's quacking. It's ********.

"I cheated on my husband because he's an alcoholic." That's quacking. It's also bull.

People on both sides act like victims but ultimately they're victims of their own choices and decisions.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I second the BS part about quacking.. to me meaning also the empty promises or over the top self evaluations.

Half in the bag from 4 beers and 5 shots of fireball: Next weekend I'm tearing up all this nasty carpet and putting in those wood floors. QUACK!

If I only has XXX amount of dollars I could start my own business and everything would be better that way.. QUACK! (Did you ever think that maybe the fact that you can't save or budget at all could hinder you from running a really successful business all on your own?)

But I also agree with you. They ALWAYS make the ex look bad. It's part of the hook. The A plays the victim eliciting the rescuer out of people. And it works.. well.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I only drink x brand of beer as the alcohol content is so low....
Quack?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the old days I used to get ripped.... now I only drink 3 or 4....
Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quack
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The concept of quacking really helped me out when my wife was being verbally abusive. I would just say "quack, quack, quack" over and over in my mind and it let me detatch.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WENDY...Have yo seen the thread: "Quackers"? If not, you owe it to yourself to read it!!!

Go to the bar at the top of the main page---and click on search....then type in "Quackers"

Let us know if you can't find it. You will laugh your ring off.....and, maybe cry, too.

dandylion
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Understanding quacking has benefits outside of the alcoholic relationship, and thank goodness. I was verbally assaulted at work last night, and while the guy was raging, I was just standing there saying "quack quack quack!" in my head and picturing ducks walking around. It helped me keep my cool, especially since I came in at midnight just to respond to a call from this a-hole (I work in hotels; we're never really off the clock).