Violence threat assessment test used by police

Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Violence threat assessment test used by police

Many police departments, including the United States Congressional Police force, use the following violence threat assessment test:

www.mosaicmethod.com

It is a series of questions that police have found to be highly predictive of the future threat of violence when dealing with someone they are concerned about.

If you click on this website, you can access the test yourself, fully in confidence.

Someone on this site posted earlier about a spouse who shot a gun in the house and threatened suicide while drunk. This is a terribly volatile situation with the potential for death.

Rather than post this information buried many pages into another thread, I thought it would be useful for others to see it directly.

ShootingStar1
Old 07-11-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for this link. I just took the test and it was the most helpful, in depth one I've ever seen.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just going to add I think everyone who has any concern at all take this test. I think it's one of the best things you can do to help you open your eyes to your situation. It was certainly an eye opener for me. Thanks again for this link ShootingStar. Really should be a pinned link I think.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was given that assessment on paper by a police officer that came to my house after one of my ex's threats against me. And I want to thank you for posting the link to the website, Star, because I actually have a male coworker I'm very concerned about right now.

Well crud. I can't use the workplace violence one without giving the name of my company. Not gonna do that.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the way i see it is if policemen carried guns over here in the uk i would of probably been shot dead by them with some of my antics while i was drunk

i was so aggressive in my drinking like a rabid dog on the loose at times and yet other times i would be the life and soul of the party
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, Shootingstar, for posting the link. I had forgotten about it.

During the thread mentioned in this OP, there was also discussion about our (DV survivors') tendency to minimize the violence. To help illustrate that: When I finally spoke to a DV crisis shelter, I only did so because a counselor (who I was seeing to try to learn how to communicate with AXH so he might understand me) told me I should contact two of the local crisis advocates. I was certain she had told me this so I could find out that I didn't have it that bad and stop whining. (Which is actually like something I heard from AXH regularly.)

When I met with an advocate and told her about my relationship with AXH, I was surprised when she didn't tell me that I didn't need to speak with her, when she confirmed it was abuse. And even after that, when I found the Mosaic site, I was astounded that the types of abuse that AXH subjected me to regularly was on their Level 3 of severity (of 4, with 4 being the most severe) and that he had already done one of the Level 4 examples.

And, to this day, I still can't figure out what I said at my first Al-Anon meeting that had the members asking me if DS and I were safe, because it all seemed so 'normal' to me.

So, please know that after a while of being with an abuser, we do tend to minimize behavior and lose sight of what is truly dangerous. Please know, you're not blowing things out of proportion.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

theuncertainly.....I think that you make an excellent point!

dandylion
Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TheUncertainty, you are so right.