Courage To Change 07/10/14

Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 07/10/14

As a result of our exposure to alcoholism, many of us lose perspective on who we are and what we can and cannot do. We accept ideas about our own limitations that have no basis in reality. Al-Anon helps us to sort out the truth from the falsehoods by encouraging us to take a fresh, objective look at ourselves. I had always been told that I had a weak constitution and had to avoid excitement and overexertion. Believing this, I avoided exercise, sports, certain jobs, and even dancing, sure that my poor weak body couldn’t handle the strain. My most frequent response to any invitation was, “I can’t.” In Al-Anon I realized that I had a distorted self-image. I had never thought to question my beliefs, but when I took a good look, I discovered that they were untrue. I am as fit as anyone I know. I began to wonder how many other false assumptions were limiting me. A whole new way of life opened up because I had the support and
encouragement to take a fresh look at myself.

Today’s Reminder
I won’t let old, limiting ideas and doubts go unchallenged. I may discover strengths and talents that never had the chance to come to light. Today, by letting go of obsolete ideas, I have an opportunity to learn something wonderful about myself.
“Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they’re yours.”
Richard Bach
Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was always told I was to sensitive and a cry baby. So I became hard and untouchable.

I have challenged that label. I have found it is okay to cry and in fact shows courage and strength. The more willing I am to let my feelings show the more I can understand them and the less frightened I am of them.

Sensitive does not mean weak. It opens me up to feel and express tolerance, sympathy and empathy. I can now care about someone other than myself. I was so busy protecting myself from getting hurt that I shut out everyone else because I would not take the risk.

Today I take the risk. I may get hurt but at least that means I am alive and not hiding out behind a closed mind and a closed heart.