What are your goals?

Old 07-13-2004, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
It's a Puggle!

What are your goals?

In therapy the other day my counselor asked me, "What are your goals? What do you hope to accomplish by being here?"
I took a minute to think about it and said, "I have two, the first being that I want to get up in the morning, have my coffee and not obsess about the day before. No analyzing what I could have, or should have done differently. I want to wake up and look ahead, not back.

The second thing I want to accomplish is that I want to be able to say what I think or how I feel, without worrying that I am starting WWIII or feeling guilty because I spoke up. I am tired of having myself convinced that my thoughts and feelings are not worthy of being mentioned, I am tired of being the most agreeable person on the planet."

I'm curious what are everyone elses' goals?

Hugs,
Paula
Old 07-13-2004, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

My goal when I started therapy was to learn to love without losing myself. I felt like everyone in my life was more important than me. It was all about making everyone happy with me. My whole self esteem and self worth came from others.
Now that I have been in Al-Anon and therapy for a while, I re-evaluated my goals. I am working on becoming a more whole and complete person. This is going to take a while, but I know that I am moving in that direction. With the help I am receiving, I am so much better than before. I really look forward to continuing the work. Good topic. Thanks! Hugs, Magic
Old 07-13-2004, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have goals for the first time in a long time, since my addicted other left me and I've gotton into Al-anon I see things alot clearer.
1. Keep moving forward: Take care of my kids, go to work, pay the bills, (including all the ones I got left with when he walked, since they are in my name)
2. Seek contact with others who share the same pain. (Al-anon and posting here) Keep in close contact with my family because they love me the most.
3. Detach from thinking what could have been or how good it was with him at one time: I struggle with this one the most. As time goes by and the initial hurt of his leaving and all I've had to endure to start over with my kiddos lessens and he calls to talk to our son sounding more like the man he used to be I find a part of myself softening. So I wrote myself a email, describing my view on everything that happened while we were together, all the hurt included. When I'm feeling really shaky I read that over and over, it helps keep my mind on the right track. Mine might not be the best way but so far it's working for me.
4..Breathe in, breathe out, put one foot in front of the other, take life one day at a time. This one always works lol.
Good luck y'all......Teggie