Need help

Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help

Hi. I am married to an alcoholic for 12 years and now my stepson who is 21 is one and stepson 2 might be one. I abused alcohol myself for 10 years out of depression and anger of my situation.
I quit in December 2013.
Stepson 1 is wanting to use the lakehouse and I am very worried about him drinking there with his friends.
I want to talk to him but I don't know what to say since we have had bad stuff happen in December.
Ease help what do I say?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi EYESWDOPNLK2136,

Thank you for sharing. I appreciated you sharing your struggles with alcohol and how it worries you about others in your life potentially going down that path. That is very honest and sincere to share, thank you.

If I were you, I would say this to the step son you are worried about. Honesty sometimes is the best policy. If I were him, I would appreciate the honesty and the sincerity, that hey, I've struggled with this for 10 years and I was not happy about it. If I were him, I might also like to hear that you are not trying to control or run my life, but that in your experience, it can be a dangerous path and have a lot of troublesome consequences and that ultimately you recognize that what he does with his life is his life and you will be there to support him no matter what.

Take care.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well... your stepson is an adult. So I would treat him like any other adult that I wasn't sure would be responsible in using the house. I would say no.