Humans of New York

Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Humans of New York

I'm probably not the only one of us at SR who follows Humans of New York. It's a blog with over 7 million Facebook followers. I'm always struck by the number of features whose subjects end up mentioning addiction in their interviews. Anyone else ever notice this at HONY? Addiction. Makes itself known in every human circle, doesn't it.

So this is a link to one of yesterday's featured portraits: Humans of New York

Or, a screenshot of the post, in case the link doesn't work. This one really spoke to me, maybe because it puts a face to the hundreds of times I've read this man's exact thoughts expressed here. It made me wish I could meet so many of you in person. Found myself wanting to say thank you to every person here who ever shared their E, S, & H, or just knocked me over the head when I needed it. This place is a gift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HONY.JPG (90.0 KB, 182 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree, it is truly a gift!

XXX
Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Weell, I hear what he is saying...and sympathize....on the other hand, I have heard very experienced, long-timer AA members say to get them to AA anyway possible...because, sometimes, after they get there it begins to stick.

I've also heard that there is nothing that kills the enjoyment of a buzz like a belly full of beer and a head full of AA.

HealingwillCome---I do love that photo and that profile. He looks to me like a real soldier and servant of the cause.

sigh...

dandylion
Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love that page. This one really got me today.

"What's your favorite thing about your mother?"
"She loves life more than anyone I've ever known. I hope she doesn't mind me telling you this, but recently she's had some health problems. And her health got so bad at one point, she called me and said: 'I was starting to wonder if there was any reason to go on. But then I had the most delicious pear!'"

Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here's a saying I've heard many times: "AA is for people who want it, not for people who need it."
Old 06-30-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love HONY and have followed it for quite some time. Can't argue with people sharing a tiny piece of their life experiences.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I heard that during my first ever meeting. It's stayed with me.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dandylion, xabf used to tell me about walking out of AA meetings and being invited to go have a drink with some of the guys from the meeting. And he would also mention the guys that came to the meetings drunk. AA worked for xabf when he worked the program, but times like that really challenged him.

Readerbaby, I also looooooved that portrait. Found the mother's attitude so inspirational. She reminded me of the book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have never heard of this site before but I love photography blogs and what a treat this one is! Thank you for sharing!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Me too, Stung. My best friend who's a photographer introduced me to it. I love the founder's story and how his idea has evolved. The images and stories he captures are fascinating. Sometimes good for an out-loud belly laugh, sometimes an 'aha' moment, sometimes they make me cry, sometimes they motivate me. This guy is talented.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
I love that page. This one really got me today.

"What's your favorite thing about your mother?"
"She loves life more than anyone I've ever known. I hope she doesn't mind me telling you this, but recently she's had some health problems. And her health got so bad at one point, she called me and said: 'I was starting to wonder if there was any reason to go on. But then I had the most delicious pear!'"
That made my day. Thank you for sharing, Readerbaby.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I follow but guess I am also one of them
Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There was one today about a former teen mom who just graduated from college after rising through the ranks of an accounting business. I wanted to give her a high five.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
There was one today about a former teen mom who just graduated from college after rising through the ranks of an accounting business. I wanted to give her a high five.
Yes, it's always annoyed me that society makes a judgement on young parents without knowing anything about them.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So I separate my mom from her disease...

One of today's HONY portraits. The compassion this man shows for his mom is really beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HONY 7-23-14.JPG (81.9 KB, 43 views)