Alcoholic Stepdad Died

Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Stepdad Died

So my "stepdad" (mom's ex-husband) was found dead in his home this past weekend. He apparently killed himself, could have been as far back as a month ago. The police found him.

Anyway, I feel no sympathy for him. Is this normal? He was an alcoholic, addicted to pain pills and he was abusive to me. Not to my mother. He also said some wildly inappropriate things to me, and I'm pretty sure he did something to his daughter because she disowned him. I met her once at his mother's funeral, he knelt down to introduce himself to his young granddaughter and his daughter protectively jerked her away from him.

Some people have said that its sad that he had to end it like that, and that no one even noticed for a month. But I just want to yell out "Good Riddance!!" He put my mom through hell with his medical conditions, and made me afraid in my own home. He was the first example of an alcoholic I've seen up close and personal, and it wasn't good and in my opinion he was a waste of space and an all around abuser.

Part of me feels wrong for feeling this way. Part of me says "about freakin' time"

I need to pray to my HP. I don't know why I'm sharing this to be honest. I guess because its an end to one horrible time in my earlier life.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, my mom was his FIFTH marriage. I think he left a long string of people badly effected by his issues
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Blossom, my thoughts are with you.

Originally Posted by Blossom717 View Post
Part of me feels wrong for feeling this way. Part of me says "about freakin' time"
When my wife accidently overdosed on prescription medication for her back pain and alcohol, I had a ton of confliction feelings. My take on it now is that feelings aren't wrong and no guilt should be attached to them. How they are handled is key.

I think you are handling them pretty good: sharing here with people who will understand and praying to your HP.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

God will take of whatever needs taking care of in regards to your stepdad. My prayer is that you find peace and forgiveness not of yourself so you can truly heal. Hugs.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vent away, that is what we are here for. I don't think you should feel guilty to not feel bad. It sounds like he was not a nice person, sadly, you reap what you sew.

Take good care of YOU! We are here for you!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it says something that no one noticed his absence for a month.

Sorry for those mixed emotions your're feeling right now, Blossom. It's normal to feel relief when an abuser is gone. Your human self also understands that he was a child of God like the rest of us, but at some point his experiences led him to abuse others and not seem to care or want to stop. He made his own choices and left a path of destruction. Not okay. I don't believe God will judge you for feeling relief. He knows your pain. It helps me in times like yours to pray for the soul of the offender, and then offer it up and let it go. You shouldn't have to carry that weight. I'll pray that you can find your peace. Hugs to you.