Courage To Change 06/29/14

Old 06-29-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 06/29/14

After some time in recovery, I picked up a Blueprint for Progress, Al-Anon’s guide to taking a searching and fearless moral inventory (Step Four). I was well aware of many character defects, and I was eager to be free of their hold on me. But I didn’t expect so many questions about my character assets! Again and again I was asked to recognize positive qualities about myself. It was frustrating! Why waste time on things that already worked? These assets hadn’t kept my life from becoming unmanageable; obviously they weren’t worth much. My Sponsor suggested that my resistance to this part of the Step might have something to teach me. He was right. Eventually I realized that my assets are the foundation upon which my new, healthier life is being built. Refusing to recognize them just holds down my self esteem. As long as I see myself as pitiful, hopeless, and sick, I don’t have to change. I knew I was ready to feel better about myself, so I gathered up my willingness and listed all the positive attributes I could find about myself. I’ve felt much better about myself ever since.

Today’s Reminder
Today I will acknowledge that I have many positive qualities, and I will share one or two of these with a friend.

“All progress must grow from a seed of self-appreciation. . .”
The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I really like that reading and the "character asset" part of the Al Anon inventory which is missing from the AA 4th step >if you do it with the Big Book<.
One thing I have noticed is that a lot of my character assets and defects are entwined and basically just two different side of the same coin. The challenge for me is to work that personality trait in a way that it shines instead of letting it drag me down.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This reading inspired me to start a thread: we want to hear how awesome you are!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...character.html