A glimpse into the future?

Old 07-11-2004, 03:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JT
(Blush)

I guess my post took a different turn than what I intended. Or maybe I wanted some of the younger folks to see that us geezers have been there too. And then too Thread's have a life of their own sometimes.

My point was, I think, that if I knew then...23 years ago...that I would be living today with a man that passed out in his chair every night, I am not sure I would have stayed. And if I hadn't fixed myself I just would have found another one.

We are affected whether we are ready to admit it or not. When I met Ward I wasn't ready. I became ready after my son had been affected just like alot of us Mom's. We don't see what we are living in until HP puts our hands closer and closer to the fire.

Hugs,
JT
JT,first ((((((BIG HUGS TO YOU))))))! Understand where you are coming from. I am in my fifties..one of the geezers! If I could go back and change my past...I WOULD..but I can't. Time passes by so quickly. At my age,I'm not sure if, starting anew is worth the hassle. My A is like yours(doesn't go to pub),just drinks till he passes out on couch. He doesn't beat on me or isn't mean. He goes to work most days,helps with the housework and most of the bills get paid. We have only been married a few years. There are no kids involved in relationship,which is good. Funny,but over the years I have been in and out of relationships. Most were actually good. No drugs or alcohol problems. For some reason I felt I had to have some one to save from something. Felt guilty for unknown reasons and I was the one who unusually left the relationship. From one bloke to another I wondered until I found this bloke. At last a relationship..some one who needed saved from something. Thought I could help..but what a hell to live in. Wish I would have gotten help for me as a person when I was much younger. Think recovery is a very important step for oneself. The definition of recovery...to get back something lost or taken away, To restore,to compensate for,to regain a normal or usual condition,to the making good of something gone awry. For me recovery is just beginning. Guess better later,then not at all. But remember we only get one chance at this life and its not a practice run. If you are younger..think of yourself in 20 years time. Can you still see yourself..living with an A??
Old 07-11-2004, 03:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Heh. you've answered my question in a way without even answering it. I have to focus on myself and my own healing and allow him the priveledge of doing his own or not doing it. Darn it! I want to get in there and stuff.

When does the line get crossed between helping someone out and rescuing?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
believer

Originally Posted by Taira
I still think recovery is important so the same mistakes are not repeated in future relationships...but is my life, albeit calm...what you want for yours?

Thing is, is HAD you have divorced him, is there any guarantee that you would still not be in a similar position now, just with husband #2?

Or, would you have done what others have done (raises hand here) and dumped the hubby, experience serenity, figure your healed because you don't have the problem around anymore and then had to do the whole thing again anyways? Found a workaholic or a foodaholic or some such to replace the alkie?

Perhaps where you are is pretty good when seen in another light?
You hit the nail on the head of the point I was trying to make. Sure, I can leave, consider myself all better, then end up in the same position or worse with someone else.

To answer your other question, I think helping is when they ask for it and you agree to support them up to a certain point. Rescuing is helping them when they don't ask for it and you do way more for them than you should, with no boudaries in place. How do you know when it's too much? When you start getting angry and resentful that they aren't doing things the way you want them to..
Old 07-11-2004, 04:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Beautifully written JT. I chose to stay long ago because I could justify it with the fact that we had had many more good years than bad ones. As the bad ones added up one on top of the other, he managed to string along another 5 good years. So, I stayed thinking that we were on the road to better times. Since then, the years have not been so kind and now I find myself facing reality. The time spent with this man may never be any better than it is right now - sad and lonely. I'm having difficulty accepting this fact, but I know that I must if I am to move on. I'm grateful for the things he brought into my life, like my children and many good memories and I guess that I have to quit second guessing why he was put into my life. I'm trying to find peace with what I have and where I am today. Not easy, but getting easier every day.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
giz

Originally Posted by journeygal
But can I find serenity with Jack, knowing relapse may always be a part of his life?

Some days I have it. Some days I don't. But that's a reflection of where I am with my recovery, not where he is with his. I will admit though, sometimes it does seem I'm choosing to make things a little more difficult than they need to be.

JourneyG,

wow. Those are some of the things I have wondered about this relationship.
I am SO GRATEFUL to of found this board, in my time of need. I read so much on here, all the personal stories and insights make me feel so much stronger.

Thank you!
giz
Old 07-11-2004, 08:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

(((JT)))
I too wondered before Alanon how a person could be healthy, be in recovery and be happy even if their SO never got clean and sober. Thanks to you and others that have done it, there is hope for me too. I too came to the conclusion that even if I ended my relationship w/ my h, I woud still be the same sick person. Everywhere I go, there I am. It took me 3 long term relationships, one divorce and 4 kids later to realize that I have a crazy pattern w/ relationships. So, this time, instead of looking at it like before (the grass being greener on the other side), I decided that I had a choice to make- either accept that I may or may not ever see the day when he completely quits, or I go in the other direction. I am with him today because I realized from people like you that I have choices.
Thanks for sharing this!
-SFG29
Old 07-11-2004, 08:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Originally Posted by JT
(Blush)

And if I hadn't fixed myself I just would have found another one.

AMEN SISTER. And THAT, my friends, is precisely why I am still here. I do not want to keep repeating my relationships. I'd like to have healthy ones! I'd like to be able to attract healthy people into my life instead of always gravitating towards the "dandy little fixer upper" I spot across the room.

Hugs and love
Barb
Old 07-11-2004, 09:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I guess I like the 'fixer upper'. I like the red tights and the super-woman costume. And I'm learning that I don't need to fix him up. I'm fixing myself up.